Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Torres - New Skin
01-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Torres - New Skin
Here's my mix of this song. I had a lot of problems with the guitars and I think it's ok now. But anyway, feel free to point out things you might change in order to improve the mix.

Thank you!

.mp3   Torres - New Skin.mp3 --  (Download: 7.49 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2014, 03:10 AM
RE: Torres - New Skin
The vox sound too close compared to the rest of the mix.
Try a room verb on the vox with a bit of pre delay to take them back
to sit in the mix better.
02-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Hi Juanjose
Sounds like you have gone for a modern sound !
Reminds me of Ed Sheeran with close vocals which would be a great reference for a great song like this Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

02-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Very nice, Juan Smile

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
02-05-2014, 07:01 PM
hey guys! thank you for your comments. Those guitars were hard because one of them had a strange noise that I didn't like much and was kind of hard to get rid of. But as long as nobody mentioned anything about the guitars, I guess that it was alright Big Grin

I'm reading some articles about reverbs/delays regarding space and I will try to push the voice back as soon as I get to know better how to do it without ruining the mix Smile

mixing since April 2013
03-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Sounds great to me. (I haven't heard any other version of this song, so I have no perspective to this song. I might try this some day)
Band sounds great to me, balances feeld good and I also like the vocal sound. It fits the whispering singing style.

But the thing that bothers me is that vocals and band are competing around the same "intelligence area". For example if the articulation is at it's best around 3k, you might try to make sure that guitars are not too strong around there those moments when the words should be audible.

Vocals could use some early reflections, if you have a reverb with which you can control them separately. That way vocals could have some space around them, but still feel very close and intimate.

If you plan to make any changes, be sure to check that you don't spoil anything that's great already. Smile
03-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Hi, Olli! I've changed the reverb on the lead vocal trying to push it back in the mix. But only a little bit. I tried to make it subtle because I don't want to fall into using too much reverb (something that I do more often than I would like to).

I've also sidechained the vocals to a multiband compressor on the guitars so the 3Khz area gets a couple of db of gain reduction.

These changes are very subtle so I don't know if you'll be able to hear them. I confess I don't Big Grin

.mp3   Torres - New Skin(V2).mp3 --  (Download: 7.49 MB)

mixing since April 2013
04-05-2014, 02:17 PM
I didin't hear the difference.

You might first try to sweep the guitar track with some different settings and try to find the area which gives some room to articulation. And then apply similar setting with the multiband compression.

And in this case don't feed the sidechain with you basic vocal-track (soft parts soft, loud part loud). Create a new track which is both gated and heavily compressed and use that track only to feed the sidechain. That way also the silent parts of vocal (those which need more room) compress the guitar track. And the louder vocal parts don't compress it too much. That trick might work, but as I said before, I haven't tried this track, so I have no idea of the difficulties of this track.

With some compressors you can adjust what is maximum amount of compression. It can do the same trick as the dedicated sidechain track.
04-05-2014, 05:17 PM
I think I got it now, Olli! Check it out

.mp3   Torres - New Skin(v2).mp3 --  (Download: 7.49 MB)

mixing since April 2013
04-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Is this mono-version with purpose or by accident? It sounds as if some guitars had disappeared altogether.

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: