Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Family Band-Again-Mix
25-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Family Band-Again-Mix
hey,

another mix of mine. i changed the whole rhythm section in this song. let me know what you think about it!!

Two main things came in my mind when i first listened to this song. first, the original drums don`t change at all. this can be cool, cause the main focus stays on the vocals, which indeed, are pretty awesome. but i felt a little percussive "build up" would enhance the song. and second, even though the vocals are at main focus in the original mix, the much reverb used, made them less intimate.
my idea was to place the vocals even more in front of the mix, so when other things in the mix change, in this case drums, the listener notices them, but still stays with the singer...

another problem i ran into while mixing was the vocal/ guitar outro. there is one track with just vocals, and an other track with guitar + vocals. i couldn't get the vocals how i wanted them without causing terrible phasing issues. so i decided to record the guitar again…said and done.

the main reason for those drastic changes where to come up with something different than the original mix. i don`t say one mix is better than the other, it`s just different points of views. in other words: another mixer, another sound.

have fun listening!

aRec

.mp3   Family Band-Again-MIX 2.0.mp3 --  (Download: 4.65 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2012, 02:06 PM
RE: Family Band-Again-Mix
Lovely atmosphere to this mix overall, without going as far into the effects as the preview mix -- I like what you've done a lot. An immediately believable vocal too, which it vital for this song. Not sure I'm a fan of the drum mixing, though, because it presents the kit more like a set of separate instruments rather than a single, cohesive thing. It just seems to sit strangely with the lovely organic quality of the recorded sounds.

The hard-panned backing vocals feel like the step in front of the lead, which is a bit odd. I'd maybe give them a bit more blending effects, or not pan them quite as hard -- extreme panning is more of an artistic statement than a lot of people give it credit for.

Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio | Recording Secrets for the Small Studio
14-11-2012, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2012 05:08 PM by ARec.)
RE: Family Band-Again-Mix
first of all, thanks mike for listening AND reviewing Wink

i totally agree with what you said about the drums. the glueing effect of room mics is missing in this "addictive drums" edit.
my intension with the backing vocals was to widen the mix to the max. shortly before they appear, i almost "monoed" the mix, to be all present, surrounding and "in your face" at the peak of the song. but maybe i pushed the limits a bit too far. i just remembered dave pensados credo: "the wider, the better!" i might just had left the stereo imager Wink

thanks again for your time and critics, i really appreciate it!
cu soon...

ps: i listened to some of your posted projects here as well. pretty, pretty, pretty good, man. no doubt about that... Wink

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: