Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyndsey Ollard: Catching up - rednsmokey mix and master
Hi folks, 

This is my take on this song, and my first ever posted mix here Smile
It was a really good learning experience and also a joyful one. The vocal track was gorgeous even without any processing. I really enjoyed the vocal comping process, as it wasn't about to drop the unusable takes and try to save what's left with DAW trickery - all takes were high quality with different variations - but to choose the one with most fitting phrasing and rhythm to the song and section.

Have a listen, I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts and insights!
Cheers,
redNsmokey

.mp3    LyndseyOllard v1.11.mp3 --  (Download: 6.5 MB)

Welcome,
the mix sounds nice and balanced and relaxed by the softer use of tones.  I haven't mixed this one, but it feels like the vocal could do with the "air" just to elevate somewhat.  Also the guitar tones all sound quite similar.  I wonder if you could employ some trickery to give them each some uniqueness. 
Anyways, great work,
Dave
Hi Dave,

Thank you for the suggestions, I will definitely explore them!
I was cautious - maybe too cautious - with the top end of the vocal to avoid sibilance and harshness, I will try to excite that area.
About the guitars you have an interesting point, it didn't occurred to me to try to change them drastically. Do you mean their tones (type of guitar, amp, distortion, etc... ) are too similar or their frequency placement?

Thanks again,
Gergo
With the guitars, just try all of the above and see what works and what doesn't. i think it will become apparent straight away if it's a winner.  as for the vocal, yes it sounds like it will be a challenge to lift it with some air and control the sibilance at the same time.  Once again i think you'll just have to try things and learn from the experience.