Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Are The One_HbGuitar Mix
Here's my take on this mix.

I used a couple of early Santana tracks as references (soul sacrifice, dance sister dance) in terms of panning and balance. More guides than anything, just to confirm my initial ideas of maintaining width of guitar tracks during the instrumental section.

I tried to keep a fairly wide stereo image throughout, allowing space for various supporting instruments to pop in and out of the mix here and there.

In the end, I'm pretty happy with the result...I guess on any other day it could have been slightly different.

As ever, comments are welcomed.

Cheers

New version, Mix_02 added below

New version, Mix_03 added below

.mp3    YouAreTheOne_HB_Mix_01.mp3 --  (Download: 15.86 MB)

I like the reverb you put on the guitars, the vocal sound is nice and clean and I like your choice of stereo panning. Smile Unfortunately, the whole mix otherwise sounds a little muddy and indistinct.

It doesn't sound like you did much to address the limitations of the source material. Remember, these multitracks were transferred from an old multitrack tape recorded in 1975 which has deteriorated significantly. Regarding the condition of the raw tracks, I don't know what the story is on the kick drum track; it sounds like a recording taken from a record with the RIAA equalization off and it's full of what sounds like pops and scratches and, fatal for a kick drum, there's very limited low frequency content. Actually, that brings me to another problem with your mix; the drums are almost inaudible. The drums should drive a track like this; they need to be much louder IMHO.

Going back to the condition of the raw tracks, there is also a great deal of print-through particularly on the vocal tracks, though it was evident to some extent on all tracks. The high frequency rolloff is fairly dramatic, particularly on the acoustic guitar track which is in abysmal condition; it sounds dull, muffled and has a rather annoying AC hum. From the sound of it I suspect the original recording wasn't all that great to begin with and, coupled with the issues introduced by (I suspect) poor storage conditions, the acoustic guitar track is rendered almost unusable. The congas sound pretty dull, too.

Because of all these problems, it's not wise to treat these tracks the way one would treat modern tracks; they require some fairly aggressive EQ and processing to bring out their full potential.

Check out my mix of the song, posted in this forum. To get the sound you're hearing required some fairly aggressive EQ. Here are some examples of what I did to address the issues:

Most of the tracks I was able to brighten up by applying hipass filters to remove unnecessary low frequencies, particularly in the drums. On both Hammond tracks I applied a hipass at 300 Hz; on 13_HammondLeslieLo I also applied a lowpass at 1525 Hz. This isolated the Hammond's unique frequencies which actually helped quite a bit with the bleed from the other tracks present on them.

I used a pretty aggressive EQ on the acoustic guitar, a -24 dB cut at 260 Hz, 3.5 dB boost at 3100 Hz and 16 dB boost at 4800 Hz; I also applied a hipass rolled off at 200 Hz. The low cuts helped address the hum and the mud and the high boosts helped bring back some of the sparkle. To sharpen up the congas, I applied an 11 dB boost at 2200 Hz, a 24 dB boost at 5500 Hz, a hipass at 150 Hz and some gentle compression. On the piano, I applied a 4.5 dB boost at 80 Hz to give it a little body, a 5.5 dB boost at 12 kHz to give it some air and to help it stand out and give it a little life I boosted 24 dB at 7600 Hz. I also applied some gentle compression to help it stand out in the mix.

I don't normally give such specific advice, nor am I usually so heavy handed with EQ, but these tracks have some fairly unique limitations that are a bit difficult to address. I'm hoping that telling you how I handled them will either give you solutions you can use or at least point you in the right direction to come up with your own solutions.

Hope my suggestions are helpful!
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(27-04-2014, 07:28 PM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: Regarding the condition of the raw tracks, I don't know what the story is on the kick drum track; it sounds like a recording taken from a record with the RIAA equalization off and it's full of what sounds like pops and scratches and, fatal for a kick drum, there's very limited low frequency content.

Back in the day kick drums often were recorded on track 1, and on the tape that track is the closest to the edge of the tape (8,16, 24 etc. are closest to the other edge and often used for SMPTE code)and often suffer mechanical wear. That could be the reason for the bad condition of the recorded part.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Hey PP, thanks for your comments

(27-04-2014, 07:28 PM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: I like the reverb you put on the guitars, the vocal sound is nice and clean and I like your choice of stereo panning. Smile

Thanks

(27-04-2014, 07:28 PM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: Unfortunately, the whole mix otherwise sounds a little muddy and indistinct.

On reflection, I think that you're right

(27-04-2014, 07:28 PM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: Actually, that brings me to another problem with your mix; the drums are almost inaudible. The drums should drive a track like this; they need to be much louder IMHO.

True...its weird....i swear the drums were louder when i mixed this but you're right, you can barely hear them

(27-04-2014, 07:28 PM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: It doesn't sound like you did much to address the limitations of the source material.

Which is a pity, 'cos I put in a lot of effort trying to bring these tracks to life.....However i think these efforts can be salvaged.....early indications suggest that addressing the drum level, and mid range mud should open the mix up....

Cheers

HB

New version, mix_02. Increased drum levels and added small top end shelving boost across master buss to balance EQ. Also added a bit more automation to guitar solo.

.mp3    YouAreTheOne_HB_Mix_02.mp3 --  (Download: 15.86 MB)

That's better. Smile Sounds a little cleaner, but I still thing the drums need to come up a good 6 dB, and you might try some of the EQ suggestions I made to liven up the acoustic guitar and congas. Did you check out my mix to hear what those adjustments sound like in practice?

On the plus side, I like the sound of your Hammond here. I think it deserves a bit more prominent a role; I suggest bringing it up 3 dB or so. Also, the fade off at the end of the song is nice and smooth! Well done on that! Cool
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Hi John,

Thanks for hanging in there with me

(30-04-2014, 11:27 PM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: That's better. Smile Sounds a little cleaner, but I still thing the drums need to come up a good 6 dB,

I've remixed drums from scratch - used overheads as starting point and added spot mics to accentuate.....much much cleaner and the snare now gives that snappy drive i was looking for

(30-04-2014, 11:27 PM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: and you might try some of the EQ suggestions I made to liven up the acoustic guitar and congas. Did you check out my mix to hear what those adjustments sound like in practice?

Yup...i downloaded your mix into my DAW. My initial EQ for AcGtr was similar to yours, but my HP was down at 190hz rather than 240hz. I've moved up to 240Hz and i think it cleans up a lot

(30-04-2014, 11:27 PM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: On the plus side, I like the sound of your Hammond here. I think it deserves a bit more prominent a role; I suggest bringing it up 3 dB or so.

added 3dB boost on Hammond buss at 1500hz - now has bit more prominence

------------------

new version, mix_03 uploaded - not sure if I have the strength to keep going

.mp3    YouAreTheOne_HB_Mix_03.mp3 --  (Download: 15.86 MB)

Ah! That's the stuff! Big Grin Gotta love the tone you got out of the electric guitars here! Ooh, nice Hammond! Big Grin And love the nice smooth tail off at the end! Cool

The only suggestions I'd make at this point is to sharpen up those congas just a touch more, and I still think the drums could come up a couple dB. Other than that, I think you got it, dude! And even if you choose to keep it exactly the way it is, it's still a fine mix. I'd buy the record! Ooh, showing my age here... Blush I'd buy the CD... oh sh*BEEP* still showing my age... iTUNES! I'd buy it on iTunes! Tongue

Seriously, though, you don't have to thank me. We're all here to learn new techniques, right? I've taken many suggestions myself and improved my own work. It's always good to have a fresh pair of ears Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Thanks John,

I agree about drum level...when I listen to your mix, the snare has a lovely crispness to it...not sure if i can get that with my current mix without having to do a fair bit of re-balancing. Pretty happy with final outcome.

(02-05-2014, 11:44 AM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: Seriously, though, you don't have to thank me. We're all here to learn new techniques, right? I've taken many suggestions myself and improved my own work. It's always good to have a fresh pair of ears Wink

I know, but its nice to acknowledge others people's help. This project (and Revelations) have been real learning curves, in patience as much as anything as well as going back to basics. Cheers