Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcention
Another great song by APZX. Hopefully my effort here does it justice.

So the trend these days is toward delay and away from reverb... I say BAH and differentiate myself. Depth to me is what this song needed, as well as a little extra character for the synths... apart from that I felt like it sort of mixed itself, but I welcome you to be the judge of that Big Grin

.mp3    transcention.mp3 --  (Download: 6.46 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
super...until, that is, i had to engage a "special" compressor to get the level up on my notebook otherwise it would have been on maximum volume; what happened? anyway, when i switched it in.....MEGA SUPER Duper! wow, it really came to life and i found myself grinning like a Cheshire cat.

the intro has a flash of noise commencing 0:18, i think this was wanting a low-pass filter to tame it's high-end at the end of it's sweep? the HF material in the mix, of which there appears quite a lot, i thought was dealt with competently i must say, and the general spectral balance and tonality you achieved overall suited my taste. i liked the fact you kept bass out of the sides ensuring the power was down the middle. this also made listening over phones comfortable and engaging, especially the stereo panorama you had going throughout. actually, you had very little sub 150Hz(?) going on in the sides which suited me fine! i thought the synth which came in at 2:18'ish in the left channel was a little on the loud side in comparison to where you'd brought me from prior to, but i'm not fussing. the synth pad that comes in progressively around 0:58 could have been louder eventually than it was...i thought this synth had an important role in shaping tension which i would personally have worked with. but it's your vision and i'm being subjective ;) On another subjective point, i'd have had the blippy synth part that was the running theme throughout the mix, playing more of a central role (i.e. panned center with an up-front perspective, with scope for some FX stuff off to the sides, etc etc etc when space and time permitted, and depending on the focus of attention).

overall, i really liked what you did here in what was quite a busy mix with lots of things to have to look out for and pay attention to. well managed and controlled, i thought. well done!

if this mix "mixed itself pretty much", then you've paid APZX a worthy complement in his(?) composition and arrangement prowess. not having to try and fix things means more time for doing the polishing in a mix that makes polishing possible..... three cheers for that.

cheers!
Dave

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Hey Dave, thanks for the listen and a very thoughtful critique!

The_Metallurgist Wrote:super...until, that is, i had to engage a "special" compressor to get the level up on my notebook otherwise it would have been on maximum volume; what happened? anyway, when i switched it in.....MEGA SUPER Duper! wow, it really came to life and i found myself grinning like a Cheshire cat.

I'm glad you liked it. Blush Sorry about the level... I mix very quietly to protect my hearing and leave plenty of headroom. I took a peek at the mix and it looks like I had the gain plugin turned off when I rendered it, probably because I was checking the master against my mix. Whoops!

The_Metallurgist Wrote:the intro has a flash of noise commencing 0:18, i think this was wanting a low-pass filter to tame it's high-end at the end of it's sweep?

I went back and forth on that... To my ears the low pass filter didn't sound "better" as much as it sounded "different" if that makes any sense? Listening to it now, though, I think it'd be sort of uncomfortable for folks without subwoofers to get a good volume, so I think you're on point there.

The_Metallurgist Wrote:i liked the fact you kept bass out of the sides ensuring the power was down the middle. this also made listening over phones comfortable and engaging, especially the stereo panorama you had going throughout. actually, you had very little sub 150Hz(?) going on in the sides which suited me fine!

You either checked the mix on an analyzer or you have very good ears Big Grin I put a 12db per octave HP filter on the side channel of the entire mix at exactly 150 Hz. It's kinda crazy how much that technique focuses the bass and opens up everything else... I'm pretty much doing it on every mix now.

The_Metallurgist Wrote:if this mix "mixed itself pretty much", then you've paid APZX a worthy complement in his(?) composition and arrangement prowess. not having to try and fix things means more time for doing the polishing in a mix that makes polishing possible..... three cheers for that.

I'd suggest you try all 3 of APZX's songs in the library. They're all top-notch compositionally... no arrangement work necessary, and the synths he used allow tons of room for adding characterful effects, which is a rare treat. Thanks again for taking the time for a detailed listen, I always appreciate it!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
I think you have done a great job your mix has nice deep bass on headphones and also translates nicely on single mono speakerBig Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(23-04-2014, 08:41 PM)pauli Wrote: You either checked the mix on an analyzer or you have very good ears Big Grin I put a 12db per octave HP filter on the side channel of the entire mix at exactly 150 Hz. It's kinda crazy how much that technique focuses the bass and opens up everything else... I'm pretty much doing it on every mix now.

that made me laugh! originally, i thought 200Hz (nice round figure), then i played it back again and recognised the conga as being the lowest, and revised my SWAG (scientific, wild a** guess)!

i set mine around 100Hz with a 12dB/oct slope, but it's not a static value. sometimes, if i've panned stuff properly and/or the arrangement is complementary, i don't need to do anything....but it's entirely dependent on the day. no rules. with a hard rock or DM genre, i'd put a lot more bass on the sides....they like that sort of thing! :/

Quote:I'd suggest you try all 3 of APZX's songs in the library. They're all top-notch compositionally... no arrangement work necessary, and the synths he used allow tons of room for adding characterful effects, which is a rare treat.

ok...how much is he paying you to say that? lol it's nice to be able to give credit where it's due, eh? i will indeed check it out and thanks for that tip. incidentally, i took up the challenge of the Hindi mix you recommended. it was quite a big mission, but i loved every minute of it! spot on for that, dude.

Quote:Thanks again for taking the time for a detailed listen, I always appreciate it!

any time...if i miss one of your mixes...you gotta hit me with a PM, ok, 'cos my admin can get a bit slack sometimes!
(24-04-2014, 11:31 AM)thedon Wrote: .... and also translates nicely on single mono speakerBig Grin !

did you break the other one? Tongue