Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My interpretation of this song
I am not happy at all with this, for 4 reasons. First of all, the Guitars were tracked with WAY to much gain, even for death metal, to the point where they have 0 dynamics. Secondly both the bass and vox were tracked with heavy compression, which didn't allow me to mix it properly. Thirdly, the tone of the bass was to bright for metal, in metal, the bass is supposed to be almost only heard in low end and subs, it was far to bright, pre-eq'd by active electronics in the bass, and passive basses usually work better for recording. Forth, while the drums were tracked well, and the drummer was very consistant, there were a few things that bugged my about the drum tracks, tone for a few things, as well as the over head mic choice, and finally the crushed room mic, I would have preferred if they left it dry, as it was practically useless for the genre how they had it. I could have crushed it my self with much better results.

Anyways, let me know what you think of my interpretation, I did the best I could with my limitations!

.mp3    Metal mixing for fun.mp3 --  (Download: 5.52 MB)

I'll admit from the outset that this style isn't my biggest forte, although I've listened to quite a bit of modern metal in my time under duress! Smile My main comment would be that it feels like this mix doesn't have enough bass energy -- something you mentioned was a problem you found with the multitracks, admittedly. It's also very aggressive in the 3-4kHz region, which really tears into your ears if you try to turn it up loud. And if you aren't turning it up loud at least once while mixing, then you're even less clued up on this style than me! Wink