Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Mix in Reaper
Hi all...

I've been on Sonar for 7 years now, & I decided to take the plunge & learn Reaper. So far, it has been far less buggy than Sonar X3e, & it does all the stuff I want it to do... so, so far, so good....

...anyhoo, here is my first Reaper mix... hope you like it - let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
fH fH

.mp3    Japan Song.mp3 --  (Download: 8.59 MB)

All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Hey man! I also recently made the switch to Reaper from Sonar, about 3 months ago, and it was a very good decision. I was using Sonar 7 Home Studio and had no idea how buggy it was and how much it was limiting my progress until I made the switch!

So my thoughts on your mix... I think the tone you've gotten for the guitars is very good and you've balanced them with the vocal pretty well. I think your overall mix balance could be greatly improved by compressing the bass guitar a bit and bringing it up higher in the mix because I'm losing it behind the kick drum and I don't feel it's giving the excellent guitar tones a very stable platform. The cellos are a bit harsh in the upper mids... I imagine you probably boosted that region (or cut the tones elsewhere) to help them come through, although I think your mix would be better served by letting them lay underneath the guitars like you might with a synth pad.

Reverbs and delays are mainly creative choices as far as I'm concerned, so you might not agree with me here, but I think there's quite a bit too much verb on the lead vocals and guitars, which contrasts oddly when the comparably dry sounding mob vocals come in during the bridge. Go for longer pre-delays on the more upfront sounds... maybe 100 ms or more, and keep the reverb tail under half a second long. Do the opposite with things you want further back in the mix... shorter predelays and longer reverb tails. Just be careful that the tails aren't muddying up your mix and EQ the effects returns to keep them from upsetting your balance, particularly in the bass. All of that will help create more illusion of depth, which is why I personally prefer reverb to delays, which in my opinion are overdone these days in an effort to avoid reverb. It's like people are afraid they might accidentally sound like Phil Collins, although I can hardly fault them for that Big Grin

Catch you later, keep posting!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Hey Pauli,

Yeah, Reaper is cool. I didn't really find Sonar X3 Producer to be limiting at all, just prone to being buggy when my mixes start getting complex in the latter stages. I'm still using pretty much the same workflow as I did in Sonar, but the transition to Reaper was easier than I thought it would be.

Thanks for taking the time to critique so thoroughly... I'll probably need to let a little more time go by so I can get a bit more distance from the mix before I can hear the things you've mentioned.

Thanks again!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Unfortunately, cakewalk products are all very poorly programmed and buddy, and Sonar 7 Home Studio is horrendous in that respect. I tried to figure sidechain compression out for 3 months, only to find that S7HS has no support for that, and that's become an extremely important part of my mixing since making the switch.

You can always count of me for a detailed listen, friend. This mix is deceptively tricky, and since we don't have the band to work with and guide us as to their intentions, Personal Taste reigns supreme over many elements of mix processing, I think. So possibly it's not distance from the mix that you need, you may just not agree with my sonic preferences, and you may have referenced something completely different (based on your taste) than what I did, which is to be expected considering that the band isn't here and therefore hasn't supplied us with references.

One thing I'd like to ask you about: You mentioned on my mix that the bass guitar wasn't coming through enough for you and was too heavy in the 200 to 300 department. When I compare our mixes side by side and volume match (I tend to keep my peaks lower) the bass on my mix sounds a lot louder, and I also savagely cut in that range on both the bass and guitars, along with highpassing the side channel at 250 kH. I think something is going on with the room mic, maybe I should highpass that up to 200? 250? it's at 100 at the moment.
Quote:Unfortunately, cakewalk products are all very poorly programmed and buddy, and Sonar 7 Home Studio is horrendous in that respect. I tried to figure sidechain compression out for 3 months, only to find that S7HS has no support for that, and that's become an extremely important part of my mixing since making the switch.

I'm no expert on programming, but Reaper is certainly miles ahead in stability & efficiency. I understand that many of the big name DAWs that have been around for a while have similar issues.

Sonar Producer actually has had sidechaining for a long time (at least since version 7 when I started using it). The downside was that, until Sonar X3, sidechaining would only operate with some of the bundled native Sonar Plugins. It wasn't until X3 that they enabled VST3 plugins, which finally meant that I could sidechain 3rd party plugins.

Quote:You can always count of me for a detailed listen, friend.

I've always been a big proponent of this since I discovered Recordingreview.com with their "Bash This Recording" forum back in 2007. If you listen to & critique just 1 song each day, over a few years, that adds up to a lot of "on the job" learning that is invaluable for us enthusiasts who don't get to do this all day, everyday. This site is great for that, but I haven't had as much involvement over here, as their is only so much time in a day.

I particularly liked the way you offered some suggestions on how to address the issues you raised... this is so much more helpful than just stating what you hear is wrong & moving on.

Quote:This mix is deceptively tricky, and since we don't have the band to work with and guide us as to their intentions, Personal Taste reigns supreme over many elements of mix processing, I think. So possibly it's not distance from the mix that you need, you may just not agree with my sonic preferences, and you may have referenced something completely different (based on your taste) than what I did, which is to be expected considering that the band isn't here and therefore hasn't supplied us with references.

Definitely, personal taste plays a big role. I usually try to preface my comments on those type of issues with a disclaimer of sorts stating as much. There are cases when personal taste crosses the line into affecting basics like mix clarity or fundamental frequency problems.

Personal taste aside, I do find that a baseline of sorts can be established by referencing a commercial mix. Whenever I doubt myself as to what I'm hearing in a mix I am critiquing, I put it up against a commercial mix to make sure I'm not just imagining it.

Also, because monitoring situations can vary greatly, if there is a discrepancy between perceptions, I tend to go straight for a spectrum analyzer...

Quote:One thing I'd like to ask you about: You mentioned on my mix that the bass guitar wasn't coming through enough for you and was too heavy in the 200 to 300 department. When I compare our mixes side by side and volume match (I tend to keep my peaks lower) the bass on my mix sounds a lot louder, and I also savagely cut in that range on both the bass and guitars, along with highpassing the side channel at 250 kH. I think something is going on with the room mic, maybe I should highpass that up to 200? 250? it's at 100 at the moment.

So I ran both of our mixes (roughly volume equalized) through Voxengo's Spectrum Analyzer. I've attached the results below. As you can see, your mix has a peak around 130hz, then rolls off fairly dramatically in the lows & down into the subsonic region, whereas the bass energy in my mix is spread out over a larger range.

Ultimately, if you trace the plots on the graphs & compare, you can see your mix is down roughly 6dB at around 80hz in comparison to mine. This is pretty significant on a full range system (I have a subwoofer in my system). You can also see that, in your mix the level of energy in the 300hz area is equal to the energy at around 130hz, which would explain my perception of some muddiness coming through.

It's hard to say if the room mic is the culprit. I actually boosted mine @ 216hz by 3dB! I also cut it by 3dB at 630hz, rolling off the low end @ 80hz... But then again, I triggered the room mics to be expanded when the snare, kick & toms close mics hit via side-chaining, so my purpose in using it that way was probably fundamentally different.

It's hard to say which approach is right or wrong, because all the different elements in a mix are so inter-dependent. In your case, high passing the room mics more stringently may clear things out a bit.

I generally find that the close mics in other elements are where the buildup of muddiness occurs, and more often than not, I tend to also cut some of that area on the master buss as well.

One thing I'm certain of is that we are both hearing things very differently in the low end... I don't know if that information is helpful or not Huh

Thumbnail(s)

Ahhh thanks, I was considering doing the same. I'm not even remotely surprised either, because my low end monitoring is probably useless below 100 Hz because my room is poorly treated. I wonder if I have a subconscious tendency to let more low-mid through than is appropriate to compensate for the lack of bass provided by my subwoofer (a cheap ported subwoofer, at that Confused)

That also explains why my "bass" sounds so much louder than yours on my end, and this is actually extremely helpful Big Grin because I get a lot of comments on undercooked bass, but this is considerably more clarifying!

I'm actually in the planning stages of rigging up some DIY bass traps and wall panels... it's obviously not going to completely solve the issue but hopefully will improve things.

Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it!
Great mix load of power and nice balance vox sound nice and the chorus hits home sweet.
Reaper is one of the best for work flow not the greatest sound tho samplitude is the best I think
but its far from cheap.
(20-04-2014, 04:18 AM)takka360 Wrote: Great mix load of power and nice balance vox sound nice and the chorus hits home sweet.
Reaper is one of the best for work flow not the greatest sound tho samplitude is the best I think
but its far from cheap.

Thanks Takka! Glad you liked it...

...um curious to know what you mean about the "not the greatest sound" comment regarding Reaper...

Personally, I have Sonar, Harrison Mixbus, Mixcraft, Ableton, Cubase and Reason - apart from obvious differences in their native plugin suites, they all seem to sound pretty much the same to me.

Granted, I haven't tried Samplitude, but I must admit I find it surprising that any one DAW might produce inherently better sound than another.... Is it because the native plugins in Samplitude are superior?
Nice work! Reminds me of a Rich Costey mix. Crispy mids, and you've got the low end happening! If anything, maybe the snare sound is too much in the verse... I'm really reaching for that one. Excellent!
(28-04-2014, 09:00 PM)ridgybeatle Wrote: Nice work! Reminds me of a Rich Costey mix. Crispy mids, and you've got the low end happening! If anything, maybe the snare sound is too much in the verse... I'm really reaching for that one. Excellent!

Thanks RB... Funny you should mention Rich Costey - I was actually referencing The Foo Fighters for this mix, although I don't think it was the album(s) the RC mixed... but I was going for that sort of vibe.

With regard to the snare in the chorus... yeah, I think in hindsight I should have increased the level of lead vocal a tad and/or not pushed the snare so hard. I might make a little revision there & post it - see how I go for time - I'm working on an actual paying mix at the momentSmile

Thanks for listening & commenting - I appreciate the feedback!