Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cog In The Machine SpedeMIX
Hi! I did a quick mix out of this one. Spent about two hours with this one; I spent quite a lot of time tweaking the bus compressors against the kick drum. I kinda like to make these huge low ends to these acoustic tracks. Big Grin Since nothing is compressed to death you can achieve this huge natural impact which cannot really do in modern rock or electronica song where the low end needs to be "tight".

I used both the DI and the mic from the acoustic guitar but ditched quite a bunch of the drum close mics (kick in, rack tom and hihat spot mic) in order to focus on more overhead-centric drum sound. Personally I've never been a fan of the room mics in a live recording; I feel they just muddy up the whole mix. In these live recordings the leakage from close mics is usually enough to to create adequate amount of ambience IMO (once you figure out how to polarize and pan things correctly). So no room mics in this mix.

.m4a    Cog_In_The_Machine_SpedeMix2.m4a --  (Download: 2.52 MB)

sounds great!! good job!!
mixing since April 2013
Good mix, a bit bass heavy. The violin on left is distracting. I would also bring more highs to guitar and add more air (around 12 kHz) to main vocal and overheads. And i would rahter have floor tom on the left and hats on the right and quieter kick drum. All in all, good work.