Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My attempt to mixing tape sources.
So, this is my first finished mix.
Although i'm brand new to mixing, i already have some imagination on the process, thanks to lots of lecture, cautionous listening, and a tad of music practise.

When i first heard the source files, i thought wow, i really like music from that period, and this is a nice occasion to try myself in mixing.

What i definitely not wanted to do, were to go in the modern style of processing, with lots of presence, bass heavy mixes, lots of M/S processing, gated reverbs and no dynamics.

How do i find the result?
Well, it's a bit more bass heavy than i thought initially, but i think it still fits. With presence i think i succeded, did a little comparison to some records of Free, and it's not that far. I didn't ran from M/S, but (as with compression overall) i kept it very gentle.
When it comes to reverb, i see now (well, hear Big Grin ), i failed it a little...
Don't really like the idea of lots of ambience in sound in case of such recordings, but it's a bit too dry, vocal especially.
And with dynamics... I think it isn't bad, i mean, i haven't compressed it hard, but it's not the most dymanic record i've seen. It's ofc normalized to 0dBfs, a bit of limiting, but not pushed, overall i kept the gain reduction on master up to 1dB, just to smoothen it, not squash.

Now i realised that compression on master bus has little to do with mixing Angel so i shouldn't call it mix...

What i learned so far is not to stray from extreme settings during the process, it's better to push (or pull) to the limits and then back up to the moment when it sounds right (and a teeny tiny bit further, just in case). And also, not to be afraid of saturation, if it needs it, just do it.
(In this case i really wondered if it's right, but finally, i found it's necessary, and if not, someone here will point it out Big Grin ).
And that i have no idea how to get the hammonds right, hope it isn't that bad.

So, i like the result, but, what could be done better in Your opinion?

.mp3    revelationsatt.mp3 --  (Download: 10.61 MB)

I like what you've done here, and for your first mix i think you've done really well.

The backing track hangs together nicely but to my ears the vocal seem to sit apart. Maybe the level is slightly high....maybe it needs just a hint of effect (delay or reverb) to help blend it with rest of track.

Nice job
Yeah, definitely needs something...
I'll revisit this song once, and 'll see what may i do better for the 2nd time, with vocal and hammond in particular.

Anyway thanks for the input Smile
It's always helpful to hear one's opinion and advice.