Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
30 minute mix
I wasn't trying to go fast, but I impressed myself Tongue

.mp3    I\'m Alright.mp3 --  (Download: 6.08 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Very harsh sounding and very compressed
hahaha yeah Tongue one of those things where you listen to it the next day with fresh ears and all you can do is laugh.

It's also limited, which I almost never do because it always comes out sounding harsh and compressed. Comedy of errors! I'll re-post a better version.
Alrighty... this will probably be easier on the ears. Did some minor bass and kick tweaking so I could brings the lows up a bit higher without it getting muddy, rolled off the highs on a few offending channels to cut the harshness, and dumped the limiter in exchange for a tube saturation emulator with a much less extreme gain reduction.

Better?

.mp3    I\'m Alright-001.mp3 --  (Download: 6.06 MB)

The drums and guitar still sound a bit lifeless the snare sounds flat with comp so does the kick.
Just try the mix with no comp on anything ans just a bus comp and easy limiter and just knock 2 bb off both.
Give it a try bit of 140 plate on vox jobs a good en, its better than the last tho.
I always eq master bus, 2 and half db out at 500 ish One and a half db add high shelf at 8k.
I see what you're saying Big Grin Thanks for the objectivity!

I think my reference material wasn't appropriate and the raw recordings must have been quite compressed to begin with, because I hardly used any compression at all, except for the drum kit!
Yes they are compressed I think you will find, compression can be great but can also be the tool of the devil
we all over use it at times.