Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix
I have taken a few liberties with the violin part - it sort of works for a couple of bars at least, I think.

Most of the work went into giving the three instruments suitable prominence in each of their song sections.

Constructive comments very welcome!

Geof

.mp3    Song1 mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.8 MB)

(11-10-2012, 04:13 PM)geoft Wrote: I have taken a few liberties with the violin part - it sort of works for a couple of bars at least, I think.

Thumbs up for the creativity, the violin duo does work really nicely in my opinion.
Just daring comments since I've been through this and going to post my version soon.
I like a lot the violin and dobro sounds, solid enough.

What I would improve:
- the snare and overheads seems muffled throughout. There's a lot of spill in the bass/overhead, that I also had my difficulties in treating, and I assume you have taken the approach of frequency cutting to avoid the extra overlapping shrill in the high frequencies.
- there's maybe too much in overlapping in the violin/piano dialog with competing frequencies. There's a lot going on in that solo (around 4:05 on) and the balance is quite ok, but I have the subliminal bother of frequency overload, especially on headset. I cannot be more specific but I would think it's some sort of booming in the 200-350Hz frequencies.
- I was disturbed (slightly ;-) ) by the dobro taking a left direction in the stereo image. This is choice based on taste though.
- Just a detail that bothered me was a high frequency shrill from the violin (probably a mistake) at 2:57 roughly for a fraction of second. I actually eliminated it since it was quite evident and disturbing on the monitor tweeters.

It's easier to be analytical on others' work, so mine may be much worse. :-)
Well done!
humbly said and thanks for your attention.
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
Thanks Lammy - I'll revisit this mix in the light of your comments. Take your point about the dobro on the left - a bit spur of the moment on my part. It seemed like a good idea at the time...
That violin note at 2:57 was even worse at one point - I thought I had tamed it! Glad you liked the violin dou.
I look forward to your mix - I think it is certain to be an improvement on mine.
Geof
hi
let me say that the dorbo on the left is what i did and its good. avry one need its place .you can hear from mine i think you will like it .
say what you think.
oh on the violin duo its very good,i like it alot ,i jast kept things as is.