Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everybody's Falling Apart
Spent most of my time trying to get the kick and bass working on this one. Lots of simulated kick drums have weird randomly pitched resonances and this one is pretty bad.

I spent a lot of time also trying to hear the phase relationship problem Mike is talking about, but unfortunately my ears are still learning how to hear weird phase relationships and I'm still trying to figure out how to fix the real howlers... so I did some EQ cuts and gating where I could get away with it to minimize any damage.

Thanks for listening, I put a lot of effort into it.

.mp3    Everybody\'s Falling Apart Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.64 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Sounds great and balanced to me

I like especially the solo part with different sonic balance.

If something, I feel that the overall sound is little bit thin. I would either try to turn up the low end OR turn down the high-end.

I'm sure I've made a mix of this song, but I can't found it anywhere. Maybe I just forgot to send it here. I remember this song because I wanted to use Daft Punk as reference for this song.
Thanks, Olli.

The thinness of the low end is the sticking issue in this one, for sure, and I didn't realize how thin it was until I checked it out again this morning. Yet there still seems to be low mid mud, which is kinda perplexing, huh?

If you give this mix a shot, I'd really like your take on the best method of fixing the low end issues on this... multiband compression is usually my best bet, but I guess I could try and find a good low end harmonic enhancer? Or parallel distortion. I dunno, but would love to hear your mix of this and any thoughts you might have on its issues. As with every track I've mixed from this site, this tune is either deceptively tricky or I'm WAY overthinking it!

I just compared my to yours. Your low end is very controlled. (Mine is quite a mess.) If you just turn it up with smooth eq curve on the master buss, it may be just perfect.

Also your vocal sound is very smooth.

Your overall sound is very open and nice. Maybe that acoustic guitar on the right channel can become a source of fatique. For example around 01.47
Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try and see what happens!
So in light of Ollie's suggestions, I fiddled around with some EQ and compression on my previous mix just to get an idea of what it might sound like with more low end and fewer dynamics.

.mp3    untitled.mp3 --  (Download: 8.72 MB)

Its a tough one this
I remember I tried makin a miditrack from the bas part and mix it under it, eq the midi track ( I used a synth bas) so it nearly only lows, hi svelving or hicut about 100

I miss mixin audio and check in from time to time. I have this midi project makin my backin tracks sound better for when I play live and earn money.
Its easy to make it sound better but very time consuming makin it sound good.

I hope it doesnt take too long - keep up the good work !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thanks for checking in, guy! I probably could make a midi file and layer it under the bass track, but lord.. that's a killer. Awesome idea, I do it with kick drums all the time... kill the pitchy resonances and layer a sine wave pitched to the key of the track underneath... but on a funky bass.. I can only imagine!

When you get time, post some of these midi projects up for us on soundcloud
so we can see what ol niells has been up to!
(21-03-2014, 12:39 AM)pauli Wrote: So in light of Ollie's suggestions, I fiddled around with some EQ and compression on my previous mix just to get an idea of what it might sound like with more low end and fewer dynamics.

I wonder if you turned up the low end too much. Meter around 50Hz is peaking much higher than around 100 Hz.
Yeah, that's probably so. I just very quickly volume matched our tracks and put on a low shelf boost referencing yours to see if it were an improvement. You're definitely right about that low frequencies though, if I go back to the multitrack mix I can probably get much better results. Compression on the master fader seems like a good idea to tighten it up a bit, but I think a low shelving boost is probably too broad a brush to get what we're looking for in this case.

Thanks again for your insight and taking the time to help me out Big Grin