Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ul-mix
Now, uzilevi,

that we have three different versions of this song, I find it much easier to find out (and state) what I like in each of them. And it becomes clearer to me that there is a distinction between crafty execution, coherence of vision and that vision's fitness for a particular purpose. And I tend to believe that determining purpose should come first.

What I like about this mix is coherence and execution. I share Ian's admiration for the drums. Differing with Mike, I find the restrained bass somewhat logical. What I like most is the overall stereo and frequency balance. Regarding the vocals, I am not sure what "hard edge" Mike has in mind, but I find the lead vocal lacking a bit of definition (but not sheer volume), especially when compared to the background vocal. I reckon that a bit more air would already fix it.

In terms of purpose, I think this mix fits a TV studio very well, but starting from the songs message that Mike referred to, I tend to picture it being played in a barn. And the other mixes, while not as polished, support this image better, because they are... well... not as polished.

I find this mix instructive and a pleasure to listen to. Thanks for providing it!

Marc

Messages In This Thread
ul-mix - by uzilevi - 24-04-2012, 01:16 PM
RE: ul-mix - by Mike Senior - 07-05-2012, 04:27 PM
RE: ul-mix - by Ian Scott Stewart - 04-06-2012, 09:31 PM
RE: ul-mix - by ThePhonk - 25-06-2012, 12:59 AM
RE: ul-mix - by uzilevi - 25-06-2012, 08:36 AM
RE: ul-mix - by Pedaling Prince - 06-01-2014, 03:46 AM