Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ul-mix
Another nice warm and smooth-sounding mix this. On the whole, there are lots of sensible balancing decisions again, but I'd have liked a bit more upright bass in the mix, particularly in the lower octaves. It's possible that you decided to leave things a little cool in this respect on account of those occasional over-hot notes that crop up whenever the bass tickles that big resonance -- those peaks seem balanced fairly well, but that means of course that everything else falls rather short!

I'm also not convinced that the mono presentation here is going to do you any favours. Not only does summing the stereo channels lose you a lot of the warmth from the guitars and reverb, but the main instrumental riff (at 0:00, 1:06, 1:49, 2:38) really loses ground against the lead vocal, whereas it feels to me as if it should rather take over the lead role during those sections.

The only other thing I wonder is whether the vocal's having to try a bit too hard to compete against the rest of the arrangement. It just feels that the vocal's having to rely a bit too much on its 2-4kHz region for cut-through, which therefore gives it quite a hard edge that seems at odds with the vocal delivery and the song's message in general.

Messages In This Thread
ul-mix - by uzilevi - 24-04-2012, 01:16 PM
RE: ul-mix - by Mike Senior - 07-05-2012, 04:27 PM
RE: ul-mix - by Ian Scott Stewart - 04-06-2012, 09:31 PM
RE: ul-mix - by ThePhonk - 25-06-2012, 12:59 AM
RE: ul-mix - by uzilevi - 25-06-2012, 08:36 AM
RE: ul-mix - by Pedaling Prince - 06-01-2014, 03:46 AM