Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cog In The Machine - EKN Mix
I discovered this website/forum a few months ago but only registered today. So first things first, many thanks to Mike Senior and all the musicians for such wonderful training resources !

For my first contribution here, I chose to mix this nice song, which I found sounding great already at the static mix stage. So my processing has been quite straightforward :

- Gain staged all the tracks to about -12dB
- Fixed the slight rythmic problem in the intro

- EQ on the Kick Out to tame a resonance @60Hz
- HP to attenuate the low-end on the overheads and room
- 1-2 dB of compression on the drum bus to tighten it up gently
- Slight HP/EQ and compression on bass, guitar and violin
- Volume automation on the violin track
- Deessing > EQ > Compression on the vocal track

- Room reverb added as a send fx to every track except kicks, bass and... room !
- Hall reverb added as a send fx to guitar, violin and vocal tracks

- 1-2 dB of compression on the mix bus for glue

As I mix with a comfortable headroom (peaks < -12dB), I added a limiter on the main bus to raise the loudness to around -14 LKFS, while trying to maintain a good dynamic range.

Mixed entirely ITB, in Studio One, all stock plugins except for an electro-optical compressor by P&M for the vocal and acoustic guitar, and the reverbs also by P&M.

Please tell me what you think about my mix and particularly how it translates to other listening environments.
Hope you guys like it.

All the best,
Erick

.mp3    Cog In The Machine - EKN Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.96 MB)

Hi Erick

I love the spacious sound of your mix well balanced and great effects !
The bass kick and vocals sound a touch wide to my personal taste as I like to hear them as the centre foundation of the mix Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hi Don,
Thank you for your nice words and feedback.
I definitely agree with your comment about the wide bass/kick/vocal. I also had the feeling that I lost some focus there, without knowing exactly what to look for. Thanks to your feedback, I found out that the room track was the culprit. Although I HP filtered it to attenuate the low-end, some ambiance sound of the kick, bass and vocal was still audible wide in the stereo field. I tried to set the room track to mono and I got back some focus in the center !
I'll wait a bit for feedback from other members before posting a new version.
Wonderful mix.
Thank you very much, Alan !