Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Wow...What a mission!
1. Love the vox in this one.

2. Great hook

3. Bass guitar could not ever be more out of tune! Who recorded this, and why didn't they tell the bass player he need a tuner?

4. This is, to me, the most bizarre/tough mix I've done in a long time. Problem is, I'm not sure why. I don't know that I got this one right; in fact, I probably did not. I just wish I knew what was confusing me.

Please take a listen, and let me know where I screwed up, if I did. I simply can't get my ears right on this one.

I'm going in to listen to everyone's mixes to hopefully get a benchmark.

.mp3    Remember December-C U Next Time Mix_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.34 MB)

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Hello

Few points I noticed in your mix.

It sound a little bit dark. I think you could have more presence in the lead vocal and and guitars but be careful with that sibilance in the lead voc.
Also the mix sound a little bit muddy. It sound like there is too much happening around 200 hz.

Backing vocals are louder that the lead vocal. That can be a good thing if you're after a big sound but the lead vocal should always be at the n:o 1 place closest to listener.

That guitar solo could more clearly take the up front place left from the lead vocal.
And all guitars could be a little bit louder or bass a little bit quieter.

The kick could also be louder or have more lows. There seems to be enough room around 50 hz to boost.
And snare could be louder.

I don't think you screwed up, you just haven't finished it yet Smile
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.
Thanks Moon! Excellent feedback. Funny too, 'cause I have what seems to be an earwax issue, so can't do a damned thing right now. Played the mix to observe your points and apparently only one of my speakers works! hahaha

Thanks though. As soon as my ear is cleared up, I'll go at it again. Really appreciated sir!
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Agree about the bass going obviously out of tune for almost the entire song. Definitely need to dial the bass back. Also cut down on the reverb. Most of the time I felt like I was listening to the reverb and no the actually instrument/vocal. Just turn down the sends. What I noticed it most was on the backing vocals and the guitar in the beginning. Overall, good mix. Made the lead vocals sound great.
(06-04-2014, 07:53 PM)eguffin Wrote: Agree about the bass going obviously out of tune for almost the entire song. Definitely need to dial the bass back. Also cut down on the reverb. Most of the time I felt like I was listening to the reverb and no the actually instrument/vocal. Just turn down the sends. What I noticed it most was on the backing vocals and the guitar in the beginning. Overall, good mix. Made the lead vocals sound great.

Hey good man, thanks for the feedback! I'll be taking another listen as a result!
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Good job on guitar placement and separation. Needs more hype and sizzle. It almost sounds like hi and mid hi knobs were at 9 o'clock. Thick loud bass doesn't usually work well with female singers so lasso that thing in. I really like the lead vocal tone
I am so diggin' the feedback you guys are throwin'! Thanks so very much.

For the record, I have listened to my mix many times as a result of these comments, and there isn't one thing anyone has said that isn't pretty much dead on accurate and helpful. In a world where people make movies, write novels, and engineer tunes, the last people who one assumes will be perfectly objective are the folks doing the same thing. (I'll be watching movies isn't much fun for Stephen Spielberg.) Every comment here is 100 percent objective, and that has helped me to listen again to what remains the most confused mix I've ever done.

Thanks!

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]