Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angels In Amplifiers - I'm Alright - Domino's Mixes.
I get the feeling this is a song I'll return to remix again and again as my skills grow!
I've attached two mixes, the first r1 is a rough mix, but after finishing it I was a little concerned about the piano and vocals clashing a little. So I did a r2 which shuffled things around a bit. I AB tested the two and decided to develop the new version further.

I strayed some way from the minimal approach and got a completely different feeling from the song. It went from happy and boppy to something darker with a lot more edge. There's a lot of editing and automation, but hopefully you won't notice it much. There's only one place it's used for obvious effect, it's mostly to help things blend and move musically. I also inverted the pan on the percussion to change the groove and help things flow in places.

At one point I was wondering if I should go wider with the mix and threw a Calf Stereo Tools on the master to boost the sides as a quick check. I tweaked the settings and got more space and a subtle phasing - I liked the overall effect so kept this in.

I ended up liking both my r1 and my r3 (r2 was r3 before automation crept in). It makes me wonder how many more variations I can find in these great tracks Angel

.mp3    Angels in Amplifiers - I\'m Alright_r1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.8 MB)

.mp3    Angels in Amplifiers - I\'m Alright_r3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

Overall sounds really good to me. I do question a bit the left right panning of the kick and snare ... seems to weaken their drive to me.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Hey hey Domino!

First, the R2 is certainly more polished, but I do have to say that this song almost works better without that!

I think your rough mix would be dead on (maybe not for radio and release, etc.) in terms of getting the vibe of the song across. That said, one issue there was the reverb/space on the lead vox. Too much. Otherwise, both mixes are great imho.
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Hey Joe!

Yeah the r1 is rough, it didn't get any of the fine tuning or cleanup editing that went into r3. I'd be very shocked if any of my mixes were suitable for radio or release!

bmullen, drum panning is something I know I need to work on. I get about 10 seconds when I can hear the panning, then my ears sorta adjust and I can't hear it clearly any more. I'm guessing the more I do it, the better I'll get at hearing the sweet spots.