Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: Street Noise - You Are The One
Ever since it was announced that Street Noise would be offering another one of their 1975 recordings for the library I've been absolutely chomping at the bit to get at it. Big Grin

This is a really cool song with an interesting vibe to it. A little disco, a little jazz, maybe a touch of blues, and so 70s. I love this sound. Also, I love getting ahold of old recordings like this and using modern digital audio technology to clean them up without ruining that "old school" sound by using whole lot of unnecessary processing, particularly the overuse of limiting and compression so common with today's music and, unfortunately, with many commercial remasters of older material as well.

However, unlike Street Noise's "Revelations" where the tapes were still in halfway decent condition these tapes are in a sad state. Confused I don't know what the story is on the kick drum track. It sounds like a recording taken from a record with the RIAA equalization off; it's full of what sounds like pops and scratches and, fatal for a kick drum, there's very limited low frequency content. There is also a a great deal of print-through particularly on the vocal tracks, though it was evident to some extent on all tracks. The high frequency rolloff is fairly dramatic, particularly on the acoustic guitar track which is in abysmal condition; it sounds dull, muffled and has a rather annoying AC hum. From the sound of it I suspect the original recording wasn't all that great to begin with and, coupled with the issues introduced by (I suspect) poor storage conditions, the acoustic guitar track is rendered almost unusable here. Honestly? If I knew how to play guitar I would consider replacing it. Of course I can't play guitar, so I'm stuck with what I got. Dodgy

First order of business was to dig through each track one by one in Audacity and try to clean up the noise. Fortunately, most tracks had extended sections of tape silence which I could use to create noise profiles of the tape noise for Audacity to identify and remove. Individually this created a fairly uneven noise character on each track but I figured (correctly as it turned out) that played together the individual variations in noise would be inaudible and the overall noise level would be dramatically reduced. In fact, I was quite surprised at how effective the noise removal was on that crackly kick drum; it allowed me to use some fairly aggressive EQ to bring out what low frequencies were hiding on the track and managed to get much a better "thump" out of the kick than I was expecting to get. So far so good.

Next I actually snipped out any part of each track that had silence (or nothing on it but bleed). This was based on the old analog recording principle that any track not in use should be faded down or muted to avoid adding its noise to the final mix unnecessarily.

Most of the tracks I was able to brighten up by applying hipass filters to remove unnecessary low frequencies, particularly in the drums. On the Hammond tracks I actually applied both low and hipass filters to isolate the Hammond's unique frequencies which actually helped quite a bit with the bleed from the other tracks.

The acoustic guitar gave me significant issues with noise. Unfortunately the electric hum I mentioned earlier sounded enough like the guitar itself that on my first try to remove the noise the guitar's level would warble up and down with the noise treatment. The only way I could get around it was to be a lot less aggressive with the noise removal on the guitar track; in fact, I only reduced the noise by about 9 dB as I recall, though that got enough of the noise out of the way that I was able to do something with the track. In an attempt to brighten it up, I got a lot more aggressive with the EQ than I normally am; I applied a dramatic cut of 24 dB at 260 Hz and boosts of 3.5 dB and 16 dB at 3100 Hz and 4800 Hz respectively. I wanted to boost more, particularly at that 4800 Hz, to brighten it up a little further but 16 dB was as far as I could go before the noise became unacceptable. Still, considering how it sounded before I started it came out reasonably well. I only wish the acoustic guitar didn't stand on its own for several seconds before the rest of the band joins in; the limitations of the track really stand out at that point. Confused

In the end, though, I'm pretty satisfied with the final result, which you can hear here. Unlike a lot of my other work on this site, since this mix is brand new I still have the project, so if anyone has any suggestions for further improvements, please let me know! Smile

.m4a    128 You Are The One 1.m4a --  (Download: 16.5 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Good job cleaning but some of the levels need a bit of work.
The overall sounds good I just feel your levels are all over the place.
The piano is far too loud and so is the acoustic in places and the bongo drums
also sound out of the mix when they come in.
Sorry if I sound a bit harsh on your mix its just how I feel about it.
Also I think the vox are way too low also.
Acoustic sounds great, well done there.
(04-03-2014, 05:45 AM)takka360 Wrote: Good job cleaning but some of the levels need a bit of work.
The overall sounds good I just feel your levels are all over the place.

Not sure what you mean by that, but if you mean that the overall level of the song varies widely that was my intention. While the tracks did have significant problems with high frequency rolloff, noise and, in many cases, extremely weak signals, the consistency of their levels seemed fine, representing the original dynamics of the instruments well. To preserve those dynamics, I chose not to automate the levels, preserving the natural ebb and flow of level among the instruments as they were actually played. The final recording, therefore, might seem significantly quieter than most recordings made today. It has a 16 dB dynamic range; the average commercial recording today usually has DR no more than 12, below 10 in most cases.

Still, I'm always willing to experiment. Wink So:

(04-03-2014, 05:45 AM)takka360 Wrote: The piano is far too loud and so is the acoustic in places and the bongo drums
also sound out of the mix when they come in.

I took all of that down by a couple of decibels. Actually, you're probably right about the piano; I love the sound of the piano in this mix and I did turn it up about 2 dB higher than I had it in my rough mix. Maybe I overdid it. Blush

(04-03-2014, 05:45 AM)takka360 Wrote: Sorry if I sound a bit harsh on your mix its just how I feel about it.

No worries. Suggestions are what I'm looking for. I have no problem with criticism so long as the critic doesn't have the attitude of, "I'm right and you're wrong." Audio engineering is as much an art form as a technical discipline; there is no way to make any recording universally appealing to everyone, no matter how good you are. Wink

(04-03-2014, 05:45 AM)takka360 Wrote: Also I think the vox are way too low also.

Oh yeah. Brought them up a little, too. Wink

Interestingly, dynamic range dropped from 16 to 15 dB after I made these changes so this mix should seem a touch louder than the first one. Wink

So what do you think of my changes here?

(04-03-2014, 05:45 AM)takka360 Wrote: Acoustic sounds great, well done there.

Thank you. Considering what I had to work with I'm rather proud that I managed to get it to sound as good as it does. Big Grin

.m4a    You Are The OneA.m4a --  (Download: 16.53 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Hello!

I think your last mix is a bit narrow, also the cleaned rythmic GTR got no life she lost her bottom a bit, also piano don't jump out some freq to enfatize some notes, probably because lead GTR fight with it. Drums sound a bit little. On vox you could de-esse a bit more or probably is the pomping from the compressor you put on it. In general you have a nice fader balance.

All best

Jacques
Sorry I didn't get to this sooner. My sister, who lives away, was down for a visit for the last few days with her boyfriend and they were staying here; I can't very well keep them up half the night working on mixes. Rolleyes

Anyway, Jacques, since you said my overall balance was good I didn't change any of the original fader levels. I did, however, make a few other adjustments per your suggestions:

(17-03-2014, 10:49 AM)Jacques Wrote: I think your last mix is a bit narrow . . .

I panned the electric guitars, Hammond organ and piano a little wider.

(17-03-2014, 10:49 AM)Jacques Wrote: . . . the cleaned rythmic GTR got no life she lost her bottom a bit . . .

On the original mix the rhythm guitar track only had minimal EQ, a 6.5 dB boost at 5600 Hz just to sharpen it up a tad. To try to put some of the low end back in I added boosts of 11.5 and 5 dB at 180 and 60 Hz respectively. Also, with the added emphasis on the low end I boosted 8 dB at 12 kHz to give it a little "air."

(17-03-2014, 10:49 AM)Jacques Wrote: . . . piano don't jump out some freq to enfatize some notes, probably because lead GTR fight with it.

I already did as much with the piano as I could EQ-wise so I decided to add some gentle compression to try to bring the piano out a bit more (threshold -18.5, ratio 3.9:1, attack 11 ms, gain 6 dB).

(17-03-2014, 10:49 AM)Jacques Wrote: Drums sound a bit little.

Here I decided to try a trick Valladares did with this track and used parallel compression on the kick and snare to give them a little more oomph. I kept the original drum tracks at their original level and used the compressed mults of the tracks at a lower level just to reinforce and bring out the drums a little more.

(17-03-2014, 10:49 AM)Jacques Wrote: On vox you could de-esse a bit more or probably is the pomping from the compressor you put on it.

Actually, this is the one point where I disagree; I felt the high frequencies, including the sibilants, suffered enough on the original source tapes. The vocals I kept as they were in the original mix.

So what do you think?

.m4a    You Are the OneB.m4a --  (Download: 16.68 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Enjoying listening to your latest version sounds great,Really good job cleaning up the the hiss and getting the guitars to shine.The bass and kick sound nice and tight,one minor personal preference for me is i think the snare could be a touch more central and maybe have a touch more reverb Big Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(24-04-2014, 09:24 AM)thedon Wrote: [O]ne minor personal preference for me is i think the snare could be a touch more central and maybe have a touch more reverb Big Grin.

I would prefer it a little more central myself but when you have stereo overheads you pretty much have to match the close mic positions with their positions in the overheads or the drums are gonna sound strange; unfortunately, the snare in the overheads was also quite a bit to the side. As for reverb? Well, when both close mics and overheads are being used I prefer to avoid reverb as I find the two signals in tandem tend to create the most lifelike sound; I generally only apply reverb to the drums if they're raw samples or recorded with only close mics. So, I'd rather defer making that adjustment unless I get one or two more people making the same suggestion, then I'll try it. Smile

Glad you liked it otherwise! I worked pretty hard to get a nice clean sound out of it, and given the issues with the original source tracks that was a long term undertaking. Confused
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
In many ways I like your mix better than what i have come up with yet !
It sounds very clean thinkin of what the raw tracks we have to work with. Good job cleanin the up and eq, especially the acc gtr is great !
I guess I will look into your settings when I get back to the mixer next week. The vocals are a tad loud - and I agree its an unusual pan of the drums. Very cool effect last bars panning the dododooos stereo.
Good work !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order