Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Street Noise: 'You Are The One' (Valladares Mix)
Hi!

Here goes my take. I've cleaned all tracks with Audacity trying to remove tape hiss, then imported to the DAW.

Still like the overall treble on the final mix.

.mp3    Street Noise - You Are The One.mp3 --  (Download: 15.94 MB)

Hi!

Nice panning and choose of reverbs really dig it...good job Wink

All best

Jacques
Hi, Jacques!

Thank you!
(03-03-2014, 06:52 AM)Valladares Wrote: Hi!

Here goes my take. I've cleaned all tracks with Audacity trying to remove tape hiss, then imported to the DAW.

Still like the overall treble on the final mix.

What I find interesting here is that your approach to the reverbs on the guitars was similar to my first attempt at the mix. I usually like to use reverb a little more subtly myself and I decided to back off on the reverbs in my mix while you kept them out there. Still, I like this mix a lot, particularly the nice powerful punch you got out of the snare (what did you do to it?). My only quibble really is the hiss; sounds to me like you put in simulated tape noise or went too heavy on the dither. In either case I would drop that; I suspect your mix will sound a lot cleaner with more definition without it. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Hi John!

Thanks for your comments!

I did a little bit of "parallel compression" to improve the drum sound. Basically, i've created a new bus with kick and snare only, inserted compressor with heavy settings into the bus and added it back to the mix.

The original tracks have plenty of tape hiss! I've tried to filter each one, but it's almost impossible to eliminate all the noise without compromising the top end. So i've decided to leave a little amount of hiss...
I really like this mix. The guitars are blending together really nice with the choices you've made there. I also agree the snare sounds great. I've got to try that method of parallel comp you did with just the kick and snare.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Thanks for your comments, bmullen!

Try that method and post an upgraded mix to compare the difference.
Hi,
the mix sounds great!! i can hear something strange on lead vocal (especially the first verse), the rest is amazing!
cheers
Recording engineer David Williams said, “It’s quite ironic: We got rid of our
analog equipment, replaced it with digital, then spent the next couple
of decades trying to get the digital to sound like the analog we
got rid of.”
Thank you, sardhouse!

I've checked the session and there's no other effect or setting on the lead vocal at the first verse. I think that you are referring to some hoarseness, but that's how the singer's voice sounds on the raw lead vocal track.