Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Humanradio - You and me and the radio Mixed by TripleS
Hey you all,

My next attempt after Jay Menon's song had to be this one. Great feel en very well played and pretty catchy. My goal was to make a clear and punchy mix. I think i succeeded in achieving just that.

What did i do:

- doubled the bassdrum wich i then used to some extra sublow, it sounded a bit thin to my ears

- All instruments use a hi pass filter (exept bass and bassdrum) and a compressor.

- some corrective Eq here and there

- Offcourse LCR panning, my personel favorite methode

- a touch of reverb, not to much or things get messy.

- Some automation to volume, sends etc

I'm curious what you think of it.
As usual any comments are highly appreciated!

grtz,
Jan

.mp3    HumanRadio_YouAndMeAndTheRadio def.mp3 --  (Download: 11.16 MB)

Gear: Cubase 7.5, Motu 828 mk3, Alesis M1A mk2, Beyerdynamic DT990Pro
I don't like the use of reverb here as there is far too much and to be honest its pretty horrid on the vox .
Try a small room on the vox to get them closer and back off on the reverb on the rest of the mix .
The kick if you low pass to about 5 k then add some 50 ish it will thicken it up nice.
Also eq your reverbs and you van also compress the verb a bit.
The piano is also too loud and the Hammond too low I would also leave them in stereo
Hi Allan,

Thank you for your respons and critics about my mix.
I'll stay off this mix for a week or so just to get back some perspective.
I think i agree with you about the reverb so i'm gonna work on that.

I don't have any problem with the kick so i won't change that. I allready did what you adviced so i'll leave it teh way it is.
The levels of the hammond and the piano will be re-assesed but i will not put them in stereo in this mix. I like it the way they are panned. It keeps the middle open for the leadvocal, drums and bass.

grtz,
Jan
Yes the kick is fine as you said now,The Hammond and piano really need to be in stereo that's why they were recorded that way.
In mono they are not giving the effect they should have in the track,its mainly mono tracks the cloud the middle and you can make them a tad wider if you wished.
Ok,

i've been through the song again and made some changes:

- Changed the reverb to a room type to get a closer "into your face" sound
- Turned the Hammond in stereo so it could shine with it's beautiful leslie and turned up the volume somewhat.
- I kept the piano on the right side of the mix and turned the volume down a bit.
- Added a small gadget on the leadvocal around bar 23.

Well, i think i'm doine with this one. It's a great song and was a pleassure to mix it. Thanks to Allen for his comments wich i appreciated a lot.

If anyone has some comments, don't hesitate to contact me.

grtz,
Jan

.mp3    HumanRadio_YouAndMeAndTheRadio final.mp3 --  (Download: 11.22 MB)

Ah now that's loads better,well done.
Thanx,

Tomorrow i'll comment on your mixes of this song.
I really like what you did with the kick. Sounds full and blends well in the track. Don't second guess yourself, what you're doing sounds greatSmile
Hi Manu,

Thanks for you're possitive feedback. It gives me some self confidence ;-)

Grtz,
Jan
Lovely mix, nice balance!

Thanks for sharing