Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Member - My Mix
Hey Guys,

I just found this site and I absolutely love it! I have enjoyed all of the different mixes you guys have done with this song. I was looking to break in some new gear and found this site when looking for new tracks to do test mixes.

I'm trying to dial in my room so all suggestions are encouraged. Anyway, thanks and looking forward to contributing to this community of fellow audio engineers.

.mp3    Jackie G - Rise Up Singing (Manu Mix 1).mp3 --  (Download: 9.18 MB)

Hey hey Manu... welcome to the site. Frankly, you can't beat the amount of stem/songs to mix here!

I think your mix sounds perfectly fine. Very natural, fits the style, good balance across the spectrum. I like it.

This style is laid back, so there is a need for that natural feel, and not too much emphasis out of the vocal box. Your vox here fits in perfectly imo.

So, let's see...Improvement?...

Maybe a little more focus on the tight drum mics? Otherwise, I say you nailed it.

Btw...since you're new to this site, realize something: When you do a mix critiqued by audio engineers, there will almost always be something wrong with your work! Prepare for that.

Bottom line is, this sounds natural and fine to me, and if I'd have bought the album, the mix would never have interfered with the song.

Good job sir. And again, welcome here. Look forward to sharing more mixes!
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Hey Joe,

What I have noticed my short time here on this site is, everyone seems to be real helpful with their suggestions/critiques. Doesn't appear to be any real egos that I've seen so far. Because of this, it's easy for me to tell which comments are "personal preference" vs "technical [this needs to be fixed] recommendations"... I love that! I'm sure the longer I'm here the more I will get a better feel for each member.

Thank you good sir for taking the time to listen and give me feedback. I appreciate the kind words and I look forward to doing more mixes when I have some spare time. I mostly do spoken word stuff at the moment so, I'm sure you can imagine this track was a nice break from all of that .

If you can recommend some other artists on this site with quality recordings like this one, please let me know. Talk to you soonSmile
Absolutely agreed on the ego matter. I think it is more about people who listen to mixes, not people who are the general end-user of the product? Make sense? So the level of critique is quite large, but also almost always gives one a feel for where they are in the mixing process.

Also always remember that some mixes here are just that--mixes. Some are mastered. There is a diff. lol

You say you do spoken word? I'm attempting to break into that biz sir. Could I let you hear my demo (Commercial, but I intend to do narrative and character next) and perhaps you could guide me just a bit? If I suck in that department, that's what I need to know, but I don't think that's even on the table! I have, uh, a voice!

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

"Could I let you hear my demo (Commercial, but I intend to do narrative and character next) and perhaps you could guide me just a bit?"

Absolutely! However, I record and mix the talent, I'm not the talent. Spoken word has it's own set of challenges at times but, I have some tips and tricks I don't mind sharing that may help.

I think you can private message on this site right? If so, feel free to send me your demo. Whatever I can I do to helpSmile
Hey Manu, thanks. I suppose anyone who is even remotely connected in the biz can't hurt to know, right?!

Please check out my website at http://grizwalter.wix.com/mountainmix and check out the Audio Samples page--the last thing on that page is my commercial demo.

All feedback, ideas and thoughts would be unbelievably appreciated!

Thanks sir!
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Hey Joe, I sent you a PM. Let me know if you got it.
Enjoying your mix ,Sounds a well balanced on my monitors !
Great job Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thank you sir! Where in Australia are you from? I have been to Freemantle, Perth, Melbourne and Sydney on 2 separate occasions. My favorite was Freemantle by far. Everyone of the locals I met were super cool, I would LOVE to go back someday.

Anyway, thanks for listening and I will check out your mix the first chance I get. Talk to you soonSmile
(05-03-2014, 04:37 PM)Manu Wrote: Thank you sir! Where in Australia are you from? I have been to Freemantle, Perth, Melbourne and Sydney on 2 separate occasions. My favorite was Freemantle by far. Everyone of the locals I met were super cool, I would LOVE to go back someday.

Anyway, thanks for listening and I will check out your mix the first chance I get. Talk to you soonSmile

Sorry for the late reply I am in Sydney and Freemantle is a lovely place Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts