Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You are the one Flymix
I hope to be the first to mix this song, do not kill me with your comments. lol
Try to filter what more I could tape hiss, and keep the spirit of the 70 `s.
I hope you like

from Argentina

Sergio

.mp3    You Are The One.mp3 --  (Download: 12.61 MB)

Hi Sergio!

Really nice bass tone, maybe kick could have just a bit more attack, and nice FX on solo GTR really dig it.

All best

Jacques
Sounds great. Reminds me of the band Chicago without the horns.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
you know you're right Bob, I thought the same thing when I finished mixing
(26-02-2014, 02:57 PM)flyrecords Wrote: I hope to be the first to mix this song, do not kill me with your comments. lol
Try to filter what more I could tape hiss, and keep the spirit of the 70 `s.
I hope you like

Wow! This is my favorite mix of this song so far! It's the only one that actually had me out of my seat and dancing along. Big Grin

As far as capturing the "Spirit of the 70s" you did that exceptionally well. The reverbs you picked were perfect; they sounded so much like those classic 70s 8-tracks I used to listen to. In fact, the revebs you applied to the guitars actually made the wide panning you did with them work. In a previous mix I felt the guitars panned wide wouldn't work but your reverb makes that work here. Well done! Smile

I only have two suggestions. First, I'd bring up the Hammond at 3:45; that's the point where I feel the Hammond is supposed to shine, carrying the vibe. The other quibble is one that's common to every mix of this song so far: that muddy sounding acoustic guitar. Yes, I know the original track sounds like sh... shish kebab but it can be improved significantly with a little work. Check out my mix to hear what I did to it; i also give detailed explanation of how I achieved the sound in the posting.

Love this mix! With the exception of the guitar and the Hammond thing, I actually like it better than my own in some respects. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
here my seccond attemp. hope you like !!!!!

with improvements in acoustic guitar and hammond.
Just the way he said Pedaling Prince.
Thank you!!

Sergio

.mp3    You Are The One 2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.61 MB)

(04-03-2014, 06:23 PM)flyrecords Wrote: here my seccond attemp. hope you like !!!!!

with improvements in acoustic guitar and hammond.
Just the way he said Pedaling Prince.

Oh wow! Gotta be honest here: overall, I think this one's better than my own mix. Love it! Smile

Only two small issues remain.

First, at the beginning the "crackle" of the kick drum track is a bit distracting. Maybe you could try cutting off the beginning of that track up to the instant the kick actually begins?

Second, the final fade out is a wee bit abrupt for my taste. My fade on this I did from the very last note of the piano to the very end of the tracks; that worked well. Smile

I have one other suggestion, in this case more a matter of my personal taste. Wink You might want to try the neat little trick I did on my own mix where, during the final "do do do do do do dos" I slowly panned the lead and backing vox away from each other until, by the end, they were hard panned left and right, as if the singers on the stage were walking to either side for the final ending flourish. Big Grin

I like this mix a lot; I'd love to have a copy of the 24-bit master. Cool
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
by mp send me your personal email and I'll be hanging on the track "one drive" to get off the cloud

Cheers

From Argentina

Sergio
Hi Sergio!

Nice mix, good choices on panning and effects!

My two cents:

1) The bass EQ - the lower notes are covering and masking the kick, thundering strong around 50/60Hz, but the upper notes are almost inaudible;
2) Lack of punch on drums, specially on snare.
(12-03-2014, 03:25 AM)Valladares Wrote: Hi Sergio!

Nice mix, good choices on panning and effects!

My two cents:

1) The bass EQ - the lower notes are covering and masking the kick, thundering strong around 50/60Hz, but the upper notes are almost inaudible;
2) Lack of punch on drums, specially on snare.

That's what ducking compressors are for. Side chain insert to knock the bass back by 1-2 dB when the kick hits so it gets out of the way just enough to help it come through.
Old West Audio