Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Siren - Dags Mix
(18-02-2014, 03:51 AM)Dags Wrote: Just found this - the official single http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEs7f7mRmBc
Wish I had have had this as a guide before I started mixing Smile

Voelund, you'll be pleased to know that it sounds like the engineer ignored the major chord guitar as well Big Grin
...as well as most of the synth parts.

Having listened to some of the mixes put together by CMT contributors I have to say that I find the official mix rather...meh.

There's obviously a need for us out in the real world, folks! Wink

Dags

Man, the officially released mix has the HF fizz in all its glory, huh?
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(18-02-2014, 03:51 AM)Dags Wrote: Just found this - the official single http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEs7f7mRmBc
Wish I had have had this as a guide before I started mixing Smile

Voelund, you'll be pleased to know that it sounds like the engineer ignored the major chord guitar as well Big Grin
...as well as most of the synth parts.

Having listened to some of the mixes put together by CMT contributors I have to say that I find the official mix rather...meh.

There's obviously a need for us out in the real world, folks! Wink

Dags

Lol - Ive heard so many times in my life - its an F right - and answered - yes but an F minor.
Guess I shouldnt have stopped teachin guitar Big Grin

Its quite a club of fine engineers we have here - agree on that !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Hey,

Great job in the break part!

You got a really nice overall mix. I said overall because I think is a bit bright/harsh tho. It seems to me (I could be completely wrong) that the highs freq are building up too much in your send FXs. I tend to add a HP and LP filters as the first insert in all my send fx, sometimes i go as far as cutting with HP filter up to 500hz and LP filter to 15Khz - 12Khz. Whatever it takes!

Although not everything is that bright Smile The Snare could be sharper. I find that it gets a bit lost in between the kick and bass. Maybe a bit of distortion or saturation might help to cut better, add some upper harmonics or something like that. Hopefully cleaning the FX returns high frequencies will leave more space for the snare as well.

Your low end sounds great here!

Cheers
Cefe

Adjustments made.
Tinnitus increased.
Brain melting.
A good night's mixing Smile

.mp3    Georgia Wonder - Siren (Dags Mix) V2.mp3 --  (Download: 15.36 MB)

So many songs, so little time!
Hey Dags,

Glad to see your mix here. I remember going through your come around mix. Coming to this one.. I like your arrangement adjustments like moving backing vocals to intro and breakdown after bridge but I think your mix is a bit open. Personally i prefer to excessively compress tracks which do not have live drums as the programmed drums don't need space to breathe. Rest all sounds yum to my ears. Smile

Godspeed,
Naru
Hello Dags. I just took a listen to your mix version 2. A very creative move you did with the chorus sneaking up on me like that in the intro! It works! I like the way you have panned the vocals more to the center than some of the other versions I've heard today.
And you've managed to maintain the groove and presence from the acoustic guitars without making them fatiguing. My faourite part? The way the song totally changes in tonality during the bridge. It's just epic. Great work!

-sgtpetter

My mix is here if you have time to take a listen: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=5719