Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Siren - Dags Mix
Oh.....my......god!
This track is a killer - and I mean in the sense that I'm certain there are a lot of dead mix engineers lying around these forums after spending days trying to mash the 59 audio files into some kind of cohesive music.

My congratulations to everybody who has attempted this song.
As Takka said, it's not for the faint of heart.

Still uncertain if I can wring any more love out of the song after several attempts at completing it, so I'll let it sit for a while and see if anyone can give me some pointers.

*phew!*

Dags

.mp3    Georgia Wonder - Siren (Dags Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 15.36 MB)

So many songs, so little time!
Hey Dags
What I really like about your mix os the missin major chord in guitars - great move
The middlepiece and the breakdown is great ! You should follow your idea more and let the voices be alone longer, why not the whole chorus there ? You can build a little percussion under but try let it be alone. Its such a long song and some points of interest are needed Big Grin
The sound in multitracks are very bright. Your mix here is both bright and a little hard, do you eq in masterin ?
Maybe look into if you boost highs, also on tracks, try backin it of a tad.
Drums and bas sound great. I added some samples to liven up the many repeats of same rhythmic part in drums, take a listen and maybe you get inspired.

And yes its a lot o tracks. But a good excersise Big Grin

Job well done - again !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I tried downloading it and eq a bit, a broad eq dip 2db (q 0.71) around 2 kilo makes it much less tirering listening to it.
To my old ears Big Grin

By the way its good practice to set max output lvl to -0,3 dB, some online players even like -1dB more (soundcloud)
Your file clips once on right channel, it isnt audible, but its avoidable and who can hear 0,3dB anyway - I always do it.

The topend sound really good with this dip !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
This track is a booger, man. The only reason I kept on with it, even though I'm not really good enough (yet Smile) for this kind of challenge. This is great with a few reservations, man. Great work with the reverbs, especially on the loops, and great work letting all that interesting synth content come through with everything else that's going on.

Awesome work with the acoustic guitars, too. Nice and understated and it seems like you got all of the troubling resonances under control. I obsessed over that stupid part for hours trying to make it big and grand, but I think burying it as a texture as you have is the best approach.

Your SFX build up is amazingly powerful. And the drop afterword was a brave but effective choice. Awesome man.

Only comment I have is that there's something in the way the raw vocal tracks were modulated (in stereo, no less) that makes them very brittle, especially on the side channels. That's way Niells suggestive a broadband dip in the pain frequencies on the master fader, but perhaps getting it under control at the source could work, too, if you prefer. I found it easier to get the results I wanted by narrowing the tracks a touch.

Great job, your version and Voelund's are the best I've heard yet. Bmullen's take is a really good one, too!

P.S. Voelund is quite obsessed with that major chord! He's right, but it's still hilarious Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
>
By the way its good practice to set max output lvl to -0,3 dB, some online players even like -1dB more (soundcloud)
Your file clips once on right channel, it isnt audible, but its avoidable and who can hear 0,3dB anyway - I always do it.
>.

Thanks Voelund. I'm having real problems with Logic at the moment. For some reason the adaptive limiter which normally brickwalls at whatever upper limit I set (normally -0.3dB) is letting peaks through as much as 0.6dB over!!!
I'm having to try to now set the upper limit somewhere around -1dB to try to prevent overs - really annoying and I have no idea why it is suddenly failing to operate the way it should.

Pauli - I can hear that HF fuzz on the stereo secondary vocals now my ears have rested a little more. I wasn't certain how 'intrusive' they were going to be in the mix but I'll run a HF reduction on them in a future version. And *never* think that you're not good enough to attempt a mix! Anyone who has the guts to put together a mix and post them for public scrutiny on these forums is well on their way to developing their skills. Smile You did a good job with yours, and your second version shows that you have been able to identify and rectify the problems you had in the first attempt.
Dags
Specially for Pauli - Major chord Big Grin
Hey Dags maybe your master fader is over 0 dB
Happened all the time to me when I got my 01x.
Your daw will behave that way if it is.
So you use Logic too - I tried to make myself want to change daw, but I know it well and it works.

And an encore: major chord Big Grin
Now Im in doubt if its actually called masterfader. Its an extra fader able to turn all outputs up or down. In mixer window its a little apart from the first outputs.

Just found this - the official single http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEs7f7mRmBc
Wish I had have had this as a guide before I started mixing Smile

Voelund, you'll be pleased to know that it sounds like the engineer ignored the major chord guitar as well Big Grin
...as well as most of the synth parts.

Having listened to some of the mixes put together by CMT contributors I have to say that I find the official mix rather...meh.

There's obviously a need for us out in the real world, folks! Wink

Dags
...oh, and the master fader and main outs were all at zero with the "brickwall limiter" still allowing peaks above 0.3dB.
It has only happened in the last few months and I can't for the life of me work out what I have installed that would have screwed with that setting!
Well done mate,im sorry but I hate that snare sound it kills it for me.
a great mix tho