Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mix Attempt
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and would like to submit for your critique my attempt at mixing this multitrack - my first reggae/Dub mix!

It was all carried out in Reaper in my home mixing room (the square cell!) - no mastering plugins, brick-wall limiting, maximisers, etc...

Looking forward to your comments...

Clinton

.mp3    RunRunRun_3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.05 MB)

Neat! I like it.
(05-10-2012, 11:24 PM)soulrocker Wrote: Neat! I like it.

Thanks soulrocker!
Any more comments welcome...Wink
hi let me say this is my first regga mix so ...
from what i can hear you put a fazer it make the sound "with holes" it jast take so much Frequencies out. if this is what you want you need to fix the delay time so the importent frequencies are still there or my be- hi pass or lo pass on it.
and from what i hear on this style the hi of the hi hat is the "hi of the bass"
this mean thay need to be "one" and not two. you need to make tham sound one.
soory if i didnt halp alot .jast wait for mick comment his is a better "regga" mix i jast didnt listen alot to this style/
and thanks for your comments i hope to hear from you more in here Smile
uzi
Overall this is a very sensible mix to my ears, although perhaps a bit veiled at the high end -- a few decibels in the top octave works wonders over this mix. I love the trippy filter effects you've got going on with the guitar solo line. The transitions into and out of the "I'm coming to take it" sections are also smooth, which I like. Not much else to say, really -- it's not the same as my own mix, by any means, but no less valid an interpretation and one I like equally well.
(14-11-2012, 09:38 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: Overall this is a very sensible mix to my ears, although perhaps a bit veiled at the high end -- a few decibels in the top octave works wonders over this mix. I love the trippy filter effects you've got going on with the guitar solo line. The transitions into and out of the "I'm coming to take it" sections are also smooth, which I like. Not much else to say, really -- it's not the same as my own mix, by any means, but no less valid an interpretation and one I like equally well.

Hi Mike,
Thanks a real lot for your comments, and for this site in general. I come from a live engineering background and am trying to discipline myself to the rigours of studio mixing which I hope will also make for better live mixing.
Thanks again and I really appreciate your honest and to-the-point critique.
Cheers!
(14-11-2012, 04:56 PM)uzilevi Wrote: hi let me say this is my first regga mix so ...
from what i can hear you put a fazer it make the sound "with holes" it jast take so much Frequencies out. if this is what you want you need to fix the delay time so the importent frequencies are still there or my be- hi pass or lo pass on it.
and from what i hear on this style the hi of the hi hat is the "hi of the bass"
this mean thay need to be "one" and not two. you need to make tham sound one.
soory if i didnt halp alot .jast wait for mick comment his is a better "regga" mix i jast didnt listen alot to this style/
and thanks for your comments i hope to hear from you more in here Smile
uzi

Hi Uzi,
Thanks for your genuine comments. From what I heard so far of you mixes, you have a very competent and well trained ear!
The filtered flanger was inserted on the snare to intentionally give a swirling trippy accent and some overall motion. In hind sight I could consider easing it off a little on alternate bars... The guitar gets a phaser and the guitar solo some spacious reverb and delay... I was after a multicolour trippy effect...
As for the hihat highs being one with the bass high notes, I dont really get your comment, maybe you could explain it further. To my ears (and eyes) the bass, kick and hats are in time and complement each other, frequency wise. I agree with Mike that the overall sound could be tilted slightly more towards the higher end of the frequency scale.
Thanks once again, and I look forward to have your comments on my other mixes I uploaded so far.
Cheers!
hi soory i ment the hi of the snr and the hi of the bass drum Smile))
what i mean its one you dont hear 2 sounds .
i all ways didnt anderstand this whan i listend to regea songs .that are in the best timing toghter so thay become one .
soory i didnt know i wrote hi hat whan i was thinking snr Wink
(18-11-2012, 08:41 PM)uzilevi Wrote: hi soory i ment the hi of the snr and the hi of the bass drum Smile))
what i mean its one you dont hear 2 sounds .
i all ways didnt anderstand this whan i listend to regea songs .that are in the best timing toghter so thay become one .
soory i didnt know i wrote hi hat whan i was thinking snr Wink

Hi again Uzi,
Thanks for the clarification... semantics, I guess Wink
I would love to have your comments on my other mixes uploaded on this forum.
Cheers,