Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I certainly do like this tune!
I don't always love the songs posted for remixes here, but this one is definitely on my "do like quite a bit" list. Had a fun time mixing it as well.

Everyone who mixed this (and the other Traffic Experiment song posted) knows the drums can get tricky. I don't normally like to pat myself on the back (not out loud, anyway), but I think this mix came out quite nicely, balancing the power of the guitars with the importance of the bass under it all and the vocals, of course, making their point.

Any feedback is appreciated as always.

.mp3    Traffic Experiment - Once More Mix_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 13.19 MB)

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Drums sound clean and el gtrs strong. Voice is clear and nicely separated from bv.
Overall balance is good !

I miss dynmics. 2 in particular. After the funky middle piece the synth noises and the piano can create a very powerful effect. The "once more" bv are great as louder element in that passage.
If you loosen the dynamic control the music speaks better.
Oh and cut the breath noise just before first bv in pre chorus. Almost a snore Big Grin

I would love to learn the trick you do especially to cymbals. The drums and me never got really friendly on this one.

Great job - and take my suggestions for what they are.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Hey hey Voelund. Thanks for taking a listen. Dammit, when you mention the "once more" backup vocals, I meant to power those up there, but forgot to do so! Damn damn! hahaha

As to the breath noise, a buddy of mine heard the mix and said there was some funky sound he heard around 1:01 that was something the singer did. Was that maybe it? Ugh. I'll have to listen for that miss on my part!

I KNEW if you listened to my mix you'd mention dynamics. I am a big fan myself, but in the case of a song like this, I don't generally think there is much room for dynamics outside of what the instrumentation does itself. So many things going on, and at some point the mix says to me, "you need to push here, 'cause otherwise this is going nowhere!" lol

As to my drums...they were an experiment in "what the hell can I get away with here?" Honestly, for the drums on this one I leaned very heavily on a Tom tracks bus I set up. Eq'd that sucker pretty weird to cut the toms through and it ended up doing something overall to the kit.

I think I'll take a listen to your mix of this. Was doing a dinner thing when I posted, so didn't have a chance to listen to any.

Thanks again for the feedback good sir. Always nice to hear from you!
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]