Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lushlife - voelund
12-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Lushlife - voelund
great song !
this is my first attempt to mix rap music - and it was great fun, so many fine pieces to make fit together, loved the horns and strings.
I hit the limiter way more than I use to, guess you can call it genre specific.
I like the result so far.
Thx to juan for givin me the idea to mix this.

.mp3   Lushlife o4 M_S lim.mp3 --  (Download: 24.43 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2014, 06:45 PM
RE: Lushlife - voelund
I'm commenting at the same time that I'm listening since it's such a long song:

2.56: I loved how the vocals make their entrance here!! they have such a huge strength!!! I also think that the reverb here makes the vox sound perfect!
4.51: wow cool sound you got here for the drums!
5.56: I think you've muted some instruments here in order to make the band entrance a few seconds later sound bigger. Am I right?
6.48: I love the contrast here when suddenly the song turns so quiet! the sound of the piano is warm and lovely.
8.13: the pizzicato parts sound lower than in my mix. I would turn them up a little bit more... I always like the pizzicato sound Smile

this song is always a pleasure to listen because all the turns and twists it has. You did a great mix here, Niels!

mixing since April 2013
Visit this user's website
13-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Thx for the positive comments. its a fine song !

For the questions:
5:56 - yes, I muted the guitars in that prat, to highlight the delicate wurlitzer hinotes and to make the 2 (crowded if all tracks were used) similar parts sound a little diffrent.
8:13 I love pizzicato too, but i choose t give them a supportin role here, as the piano/clarinet are the big starts (and voice of course) in this part of the song. I gave the pizzicato strings automated eq though, as many many pieces of the song has eq and volume automation goin on to hilight small details or give room for somthin else.
Listnin now I think the real drums last part should be tamed a little more. Its maskin the vocals and nobodys louder than the rap man :-) My bad Big Grin

Sometimes sacrificin a lovely sound instead of hilightin it is what it takes. When George Harrison had saxplayers make overdubs for his song "Piggies" they had played the written arrangement beautifully, the sound were fantastic and he entered the studio and thanked them - and then apologized he were goin to run it through a distortion amplifier, as he wanted the sound to be like that.
The musicians thought he were crazy, but the sound fits the song, and thats what matters in the end. I think.

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
13-02-2014, 08:52 PM
ok, I'm forgiving you and George Harrison for the sake of music Wink

mixing since April 2013
Visit this user's website
13-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Very nice Smile

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
13-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Thx - I´ll tell him you said so Big Grin

14-02-2014, 09:24 PM
(13-02-2014 10:57 PM)bmullen Wrote:  Very nice Smile

Lol Im glad you didnt write that to Bid Dave as he would have told you off for sayin that. I know what you mean - big thank you Big Grin

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: