Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Tacos Mix
Mix first mix. it was not easy. I have an old pc laptop with very small processing power, audio 6, and beat studio. the daw used was FL studio 11.

Not really sure if i got this song to work musically together.

Please tell me what you think

Thanks

.mp3    Banned from the ZooM.mp3 --  (Download: 5.11 MB)

Hey Cad, Welcome to the fun! I'm pretty new also, but this is a great place to start getting some experience and good feedback.

A few observations:
-your mix has a good groove to it, but i find it a bit muddy. Possibly try some High Passing on some things and maybe some gentle scooping out somewhere in between 300-500Hz in things that don't need it, and more work with the high end with eq.
-I would love the bass to tighten up a bit to drive the groove, it sounds flabby.
-I feel bad for the Uke, it seems lonely out there on the left Sad I know that you have the snare on the other side, and the guitar down there somethere, but the timbre doesn't match well enough to me for balancing' sake.
-keep working on your balancing. Balance it, then come back later and balance it again, then wake up in the morning and balance again. Little moves with fresh ears.
Nice Job, and yes it is hard work (but oh so fun!). Keep mixing, I look forward to hearing your future mixes!

Aside: Are you mixing with headphones? That is how I started, and I always got muddy/unbalanced mixes. Things always sound way different when they go directly into your ears instead of having to fight it out in the air before they get there.
@lowstring, Thanks for reviewing my mix and the tips. I really appreciated the warm and encouraging welcome. guys like you make newbies like me settle into community like this. you are right i use headphone, not ideal but i havent got the right environment and budget for good speakers so before then i guess i will be using headphone to work on my techniques. I must admit that due to my lake of experience, it quite hard to be fully sure if a mix is balance or not. all your tips taken on board.
thanks for that.
I know the power of FL Studio and this is great given it's limitations. You have definitely done more with less. This is a very good.