Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indiana.. erm... I mean... ALEX the adventurer
What an awesome, emotional song.

Played oboe, xylophone, and percussion starting around 11 years of age, so I guess my first musical experience was in symphonic style orchestras. Maybe watched the sort of film this tune was meant for a little too much, too Tongue

It was a brave choice to attempt this because orchestral mixing is something I've never tried. But Jeffrey Hayat is apparently a rather accomplished midi programmer because I barely had to do anything at all. Clean-up, rough balance, transient/sustain processing, EQ to reduce the brightness in some of the horn samples and get a few instruments out of the way, followed by a final rebalance, and I was done in maybe an hour. Simple 2 band expander on the master bus to maximize emotional impact, and here you have it!

Either I've missed something huge, my ears have gone fallow on me, or I've found a genre that mixes naturally for me. Throw me a bone here and tell me what you think.

.mp3    Alex The Adventurer.mp3 --  (Download: 1.79 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Definitely your Indiana sounds better than mine Big Grin but since in your comment about my mix you mentioned Luke Skywalker, the only thing I can say is 'the empire will strike back' Wink
mixing since April 2013
(06-02-2014, 07:33 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: Definitely your Indiana sounds better than mine Big Grin but since in your comment about my mix you mentioned Luke Skywalker, the only thing I can say is 'the empire will strike back' Wink

Strike back with all your might! Use the force! I think we've been mixing about the same amount of time and we're at similar skill levels, so let's keep comparing and growing!
Sounds great in headphones !
You mention dynamics in your comment on Juans version.
Would it be possible to create a greater finale with volume automation. Im left with a feeling of disappointment, not in the sound, think you did great in makin space for each instrument and also makin some 3rd dimension with placin instruments further away/closer.
It calls for a bigger bang, and it sounds like a real fun challenge.
Gonna listen on speakers when I get a chance.

Good job !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Just read that the piano sustains a chord in the end. Thats probably what sounds like a bad verb and should be automated out.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thanks for listening, man! I checked it out a little more in depth and I think I could improve on it a bit more... polish up some of the tracks with some short verbs and low the dang flute in a few places... might help. I'd like to hear your version of this since you do really well with blending and smoothing.
Sounds great !
Agree with Voelund about the grand finale which I think i went a bit overboard with in my attempt Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts