Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: APZX - Transcention
Electronica is the one type of music where I do tend to use more processing and effects than I ordinarily do; did plenty here, panning stuff around and adding all kinds of crazy reverb effects.

But I still never applied any compression on my master buss. Big Grin

Opinions welcome.

.m4a    126 Transcention 1.m4a --  (Download: 6.95 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
I like your version, nicely balanced and a lovely space you've created, which is what I think this track is really asking for.

The bass on my monitors I couldn't hear or feel very well. I know it very sub heavy to begin with but I wonder how well it would translate on smaller speakers?
Sano,
It was not that sub heavy to begin with . . ., maybe it was. But one cannot simply have enough sub IMO.

Pedaling Prince,
Okay, so I like what you did with that arp quite a bit. Actually has a nice air to it. Digging the sub bass too. Very very deep. Definitely not how I went about it. In general I like the ambiance a lot. I do wish the snare were more forward though. I went through quite a hunt to find a nice powerful one. But overall I really did enjoy this mix.
(08-02-2014, 10:24 AM)APZX Wrote: Sano,
It was not that sub heavy to begin with . . ., maybe it was. But one cannot simply have enough sub IMO.

Pedaling Prince,
Okay, so I like what you did with that arp quite a bit. Actually has a nice air to it. Digging the sub bass too. Very very deep. Definitely not how I went about it. In general I like the ambiance a lot. I do wish the snare were more forward though. I went through quite a hunt to find a nice powerful one. But overall I really did enjoy this mix.

OK. This time, since this was a recent mix, I still have the project to work with. Now the way I see it, both Sano and the original artist indicated a need for more sub bass. Okey dokey; I took care of that. Smile I don't necessarily agree with the idea that you can't have too much sub (I find too much uncomfortable when listening on headphones) but I pushed the sub bass up as far as I could without it being uncomfortable to my ears. Also, since it was a request by the original artist, I also amped up that snare considerably.

How's this? Wink

APZX: I didn't know you guys were on here! Now that I know, I'm going to go post my mixes of your other two works as soon as this is posted; hope you like 'em! Blush

.m4a    TranscentionA.m4a --  (Download: 7.77 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Just to clarify I thought the bass had enough sub already but it needed upper harmonics added to give it more mid range cut and make it audible on smaller speakers. I read my post back and I really didn't make it clear at all. My apologies for causing the confusion.

I listened to your second mix sounds good. The low end of the bass you have sitting nice. With some added mid range I think it will sound great.
Hey Prince,
A nice open mix for sure. I do agree with some of the other comments that the sub bass could be broadened up into the mids to give a fuller feeling of bass in more translations (I'm listening to the 1st mix). Your treatment of the blips and arpeggios is very nice. I also like the space you created with the verbs.
(17-02-2014, 04:16 AM)lowstring Wrote: A nice open mix for sure. I do agree with some of the other comments that the sub bass could be broadened up into the mids to give a fuller feeling of bass in more translations (I'm listening to the 1st mix). Your treatment of the blips and arpeggios is very nice. I also like the space you created with the verbs.

OK. I just revisited the bass tracks. There wasn't much low midrange to work with in the first one but I did my best to pull a little midrange out of it. The second bass track, however, had plenty to work with in midrange so that was relatively easy to fix.

Here's the mix again with those changes. Thoughts? Smile

.m4a    TranscentionB.m4a --  (Download: 7.77 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
I like how you went with a nice wet sound for this song. My only suggestion is that I feel like running some distortion in parallel on Bass 1 would really add to the rambunctiousness of the part and would help it translate better to systems with no subwoofer. Top job though, in my opinion. Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(26-04-2014, 02:44 PM)pauli Wrote: My only suggestion is that I feel like running some distortion in parallel on Bass 1 would really add to the rambunctiousness of the part and would help it translate better to systems with no subwoofer.

Like this? Smile

.m4a    TranscentionC 1.m4a --  (Download: 7.76 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Yes Big Grin I think that upper mid content is important for this mix because the bass is almost the melody there in the beginning. Great work, man... this was a fun song to work with and it's nice to hear your take.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!