Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Once more with feelin - voelund
I apologize Voelund for going there in your post. I still plan to put something on paper for you. The truth is that none of the stuff you read or hear is anywhere close to tell you how it all really works. A lot of professionally mixed songs expose this misunderstanding when heard on high resolution monitoring systems. I have not seen one article or video that explains it correctly. Greg Townley has a video call Sonic Dimension in mixing. He kind of touches on the time and frequency relationship with sound and reverb as sound gets farther away and how to create a realistic sense of space.

The_Metallurgist. I am very arrogant with you because I am mirroring what you give off. For the record. The teacher that you are talking about recorded Prince and Barbra Streisand. Both of which have very high standards of what they want. Both have multiple grammys. Please don't compare yourself to Mike Senior. He may not give you exact values but he will point you in the right direction.

I have heard your mixes and that video did not help you. At least not with your mixing. Now let's get personal. Pick a song. Something well recorded from the Telefunken section. Something that needs to be placed in a realistic space. You mix it and I mix it. Create a poll and have everyone vote on which one sounds best. Realistic space, eq, and dynamics. Simply which one sounds more like a finished record. Is that personal enough?
Voelund,

I quite like the mix sir! I couldn't get the first one to play, but the updated one you posted worked fine.

Someone else mentioned it above, and I have to agree; the reverb on the lead vox needs some adjusting. Seems a bit much to me, although I do like the particular "style" and sound of the reverb; its just a bit heavy overall.

You mentioned really liking the drums in my mix, and I have to say I am quite diggin' yours here! Very warm and natural sounding. I love that kind of totally, in the room with you, hear the snare through and through (like, you can hear the wood, the wires, the pigskin, the whole thing!). I love that man.

Great mix I'd have to say! Keep up the good work.

PS: Love also what you did near the end with the backup vocals (that part around the 4:00 minute area).
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

I totally agree about the verb - its way too much ! I may post a version with a lot less and maybe try some ideas I had for delay on this one.
And thank you for the positive words about the way I think it should sound.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(09-02-2014, 10:35 PM)ALX Wrote: I apologize Voelund for going there in your post.

I actually found it very interesting reading your discussion. I will gladly vote if you get to make a thread with a poll from the Telefunken site. If you guys ever get to that :-)
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I took away most of the verb on the vocal and turned the slap echo down a bit, thats what makes it fit for me so dont ask me to take that away :-)
Also added a warm distortion bus under the vocal to pull it forward in the mix.
Nothin else changed.
How about that ?

.mp3    Once more with f 05b lim.mp3 --  (Download: 15.77 MB)

Hey hey sir. I think that vox is dead on solid. Well done! Snare and natural sound didn't change in any important way to my ears. You didn't push the guitars in the upper mids, and for that reason, the vocal is good like that cutting in that range right through, finding space otherwise unoccupied in total. For that reason, while somewhat unconventional, I give the mix a strong 90% Voelund.

Really good job. Let's always remember that there isn't a mix ever done which, when asked for scrutiny, can't find opinion for improvement. Imo, about 1.5 db. more on the guitars between 1K and 3.5K, and you'd have it dead on. However, I've heard many pro mixes where yours would match up without question, so that is a personal thing knowing the end-user and not the fact that the mix is solid to the full without alteration.

Again man, very well done. Highly impressed.

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Whau those words were really good to read thx man.
May give it another go with your suggestion.
Really appreciated

And the words about always findin somthin to change in a mix is so true

Bruce Swedien had made mix 2 of billie jean and called jackson and jones in. Little more of this they said. So he did. And the scenario repeated too many times. A out mix 20 or so they got the great idea to listen through all the mixes and found mix 2 were the best and thats the one we know Big Grin
Just listening to your last mix here. Nice mix man! The only think I can say is that the snare sounds like it is in a different room from the rest of the mix or something like that. For me it is like disconnected from the mix if that make sense. Maybe it needs more reverb? send it further back like where the vocals are. Just an opinion here!

Anyways, good job and a great listen. Thanks for sharing.
Thx ! Long ago I did this. Your advice will be tried out if I open the project again.