Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First attempt at mixing.....
Hi everyone, here's my version of the Whisper to a Scream song. I think it's absolutely awesome that this site and forum are here for us to learn from.
I'd love some constructive criticism, especially from the man himself. I also need to mention that I'm impressed with all the different versions I've heard so far. As I said, I'm new to mixing and had no idea it could be such a fun and creative part of the process of making music.

.mp3    whisper_to_scream_feb2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.82 MB)

Hi JP:

First I will say welcome to the forum. The people here are awesome and will give you a lot of great feedback if you do the same with them.

Second I will say that I really liked what you did with the opening and the scream...very creative.

Lastly I will say I couldn't listen after that because the vocals are completely out of time and that drives me nuts. You may want to listen to the original track so you can get them aligned correctly and then do a re-post (if you want). Good start though! Was sounding really good right up to the where the vocals started!

Keep it loud!
Johnny Lokke,
www.johnnylokkeband.com
Thanks Johnny!
I must admit that I didn't really notice the vocals to be that badly out of time.
This is the kind of feedback I need.

JP
So I went back and fixed the timing on the vocals. I must've nudged em and not noticed at the end of the night of mixing.

.mp3    whisper_to_scream_finalMarch19.mp3 --  (Download: 5.06 MB)

I'm wondering how you got the guitar solo to sound so clean? What I have has a serious amount of fuzz type distortion going on. You mixed a lot of cool ideas into it. My version is very guitar in your face...
hmmm, noticed something else, I don't have the overhead tracks you do.. something is wrong with the tracks I have which is odd and bizarre to say the least.. I downloaded here so how is that possible?
Thanks for the compliments, Rob. For the guitar solo I was going for a Randy Rhoads Diary of a Madman kind of sound and I basically used a lot of EQ and some delay to get the sound; turning up the midrange in particular. I don't have it in front of me but I think I also used a guitar pedal plug in on that. I'm not sure what to say about the overheads other than there was an overhead stereo track and an additional room mic track that I used. Maybe that's what your'e hearing?