Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Siren - Pauli
Got a chance to listen your mix - it sounds way more balanced. The diffrece between vocal level in verse/chorus is a bit too much for me, but I must give you the punch is much better now.
To balance the bigger vocals you could use the ABBA trick in chorus - turn pads up (and perhaps vocals down a dB or 2 Big Grin ) The middle piece is cool as is the build up - you could use the vocals a bit more there ? the risin vocals have a dramatic effect.

That major minor thing still haunts this mix Big Grin

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I've found that Fabfilter Pro-Q in zero latency mode works best for this. Linear Phase mode does something to the bass that make it sound thin and weak. Most other eq plugins don't sound as clean and focused when using this technique. Let me know if it works when you try it.
I wouldnt know, as I have a pretty old system, Logic 7.1 on Mac OS X.4
I used phaselinear eq on the one I just posted. And youre right it sounds a bit thinner than without.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thanks for dropping back in and the compliments. I think I could ease up on the boosts during the choruses... I went with three dB which I realize is pretty severe :-p but I did it with the idea that this song is rather static, as is a good chunk of music in this style, so I felt like a severe kick in the seat might heighten the excitement... although is clearly makes it less of a dance track and more of a listening experience, but I told ya I was going to rework it in my style Big Grin

as for phase linear EQ, I think it thins the bass because it's not meant for that sort of precision filtering... even narrowband cuts will subtly dip the surrounding frequencies, although the graphics will lie to you. for a while I was highpassing primarily with stock standard parametric eqs and never getting them quite as clean as I wanted... but these suggestions are leading me down new avenues and I'm finding some more appropriate moves for those situations.

thanks again, guys. I think I learned a ton (the hard way but the good way) suffering through this beast of a mix Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Pauli, it's all your fault...i couldn't resist a tinker around....and then the tinker turned into mayhem...

come and have a laugh Smile

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=3897

cheers,
Dave
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Well done Pauli.
The V2 mix is nice and clear with a good amount of low end in the kick and bass without being overpowering.
Maybe the synths could come up a little to help add some more mid range interest to the music but this could be verging on personal taste rather than technical production.

The whispered "come to me" parts in the middle breakdown section have a pop at the start from bad editing (their editing, not yours). Cutting the audio files up into individual words and adding a quick fade-in at the start of each word will fix that.

Hope you kept your sanity after mixing this huge multitrack Smile
I had to walk away from it a few times and come back when I had a chance to rest my brain.

Dags

So many songs, so little time!
Thanks for the comment and for taking the time to listen. You're right about the synths... I just don't seem to have the skill (yet) to get those to come through without sacrificing something else I feel is too important, at least within the time constraints between work and the kids.

I think someone said that pop/clicking noise in the "come to me" parts was called a D/C offset? I'm not really sure what that means, but I think after a week of sweating bullets and nervously plucking my whiskers trying to get everything in balance, it slipped my mind completely! I had considered a very fast fade in to mask the pops, though, so at least my heart was in the right place Tongue. The lesson there is to remember to do your clean-up BEFORE you mix, eh? Someone else (I forget who) said something to the effect of "If you have 6 hours to cut down a tree, spend 4 hours sharpening the axe."

Total booger, this track... I would have saved it for when I had a little more skill if I didn't like it so much, but having said that, I learned a LOT by suffering through it. Thanks again Dags.

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
You work hard and it pays off - good job !
That click thing often come when the bounces to multitracks are made, many (myself included) are not that familiar with the timeconsuming proces of bouncin 50 tracks and wanting to clean tracks in that situation often means cuttin by eye rather than ear (consider listening through all these tracks to see if there ar any clicks - thats a one hour job Big Grin )

Cuttin BV close to start and ends are good practice but its almost often necessary to make a fade, just the slightest audio in the start or end of the region you cut make a ciick from silence to sound or other way around, thats just the way digital works.
In Logic theres a fade tool and it cna be selected for many regions to sae time and make fades in the inspector.
I cant remember (did you say old ? youre right) what DAW you use but Im sure it got similar functions.