Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Is This Thing Calles Love - my mix
I mostly worked on getting good reverbs and setting a nice space for this one. Very little EQ and compression used. No gating, I thought the snare spill on the kick beater mic was a godsend! I read Mikes article before beginning this mix, and used some of his tricks. A little cheating, but hey, everything is allowed in love and mix. Tongue

I had two reverbs. First one was a impulse response of a L960medium_ambiance. 1.2 sec tail, no pre delay, I sent all mics here.
Then a smooth plate, 0.9 sec tail, 24 ms pre delay. I only sent the snare and the piano here.

I also utilised volum automation to get rid of some reverb on the drums during the drum solo. I wasn't happy about how the drums sounded distant when they were the only ones playing, so I faded down the bass and the piano quite a bit to dry up the drums. You can especially hear it on the high hat if you compare to some other mixed.

.mp3    What Is This Thing Called Love.mp3 --  (Download: 14.13 MB)

This is a very good clean mix given the challenges of the recording with all of the bleed. The drums sound a little forward for this style of jazz. The kick is too forward and thick. The snare is a little to prominent also. The OH's should carry most of the drum sound with the closed mic'ed kick and snare parts just giving a point to the sound of the DRM kit. Check out Duke Ellington Presents The Dollar Brand Trio on the Rhino Label. They have a long history of traditional jazz records. It is a very close reference to this recording. I definitely have to remix my version since I have tweaked my system. I do not like how it sounds at all.
Very fine mix this ! I agree the close mics could come down a fair bit but how uou nailed the pan and separation. Sounds very much like a good stereo recordin. Good job ! I will give it a listen on speakers when I get the chance.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Very nice!
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Gave it a listen again on my Dynaudio BM5a.
The eq is wonderful here too and the stereo field sounds natural.
To my taste the kick and snare is just that little bit too loud, probably from the close mics, but its nothing like it masks for other instruments, just that it hits a little harder than expected by me, some 1 dB, not more than 2.

If I forget about the technical side your mix opens up the music much more than mine did - and thats about the best thing anyone can say about any mix isnt it Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Good evening guys. I've been busy with school the last weeks, so haven't gotten to do any mixing. But today I took my mix of What Is This Thing Called Love to one of my professors at school, and we had a two hour mixing session, where this is the end result.

Needless to say, the prof knows his shit, so to speak, and we managed to get this mix together which I think is a huge improvement. Basically we did very little, and I mean very little. Just some EQ on the overheads, bass and piano, and then a nice plate reverb.

What I mostly learned is how important a good listening environment is! My previous mix sounded horrible (ok not horrible, but you know what I mean) on proper calibrated big speakers. And back home on my speakers I can barely distinguish between the two mixes.

.mp3    What Is This Thing Called Love MIX 2.mp3 --  (Download: 14.13 MB)

Its like bein there. Great mix.
I can hear the difrence even on my small speakers.
Youre lucky to have a fine engineer teachin you hope he teaches as good as he mix jazz.
Fantastic sounding mix !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts