Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comfort Lives In Belief - HbGuitar
This song reminded me of Bob Dylan's collaboration with Mark Knopfler on the Infidels album.

I found this quite a challenging mix. Spent a long time on snare, kick and bass, trying to get them to work together and then as a group within the song. The bass especially was tricky trying to get the upper register to poke out yet have punch in the low end.

With 3 guitar tracks to choose from, my comp track will be slightly different to everyone else's which makes for a bit of interest.

Thanks for listening, feedback welcome.

New version, Mix_02, to address feedback below

Snare - help it cut through mix
Stereo Buss - balance overall EQ

new version, mix_03 - smooth remixCool

.mp3    ComfortLivesInBelief_mix_01a.mp3 --  (Download: 7.36 MB)

Hi!

Good balance between the tracks!

To my ears, the tonal balance doesn't seem correct. It lacks some bottom end, but has a boost at mids and low-mids. Some mastering work can handle this. You could add some EQ to the snare, it sounds muffled. Try to listen to your mix through another system/monitor.
(30-01-2014, 05:38 AM)Valladares Wrote: To my ears, the tonal balance doesn't seem correct. It lacks some bottom end, but has a boost at mids and low-mids. Some mastering work can handle this. You could add some EQ to the snare, it sounds muffled. Try to listen to your mix through another system/monitor.

Hi Valladares, thanks for your comments.

I totally agree with you re EQ balance. I think the mix could do with a dB or two at the bottom end and probably the same at the top too.

With so much going on in that 500-2000hz region (3 keyboards, gtrs, vocals), even with good balance between instruments, its easy to have too much and end up sounding boxy.

Will also have another go at snare. The level is down a bit so maybe fix with fader or EQ
New version, Mix_02

Snare - Increase level slightly & small EQ boost at 130hz to help it cut through mix

Stereo Buss - add 2 db shelf boost across top and bottom to balance overall EQ

.mp3    ComfortLivesInBelief_Hb_mix_02.mp3 --  (Download: 7.36 MB)

Hello HbGuitar,

The answer on snare is not low end, bat some mids to let it be really there.
All the harmonics on all instruments, that we find pleasure (human ears) are in mid range,
so when focusing on hi and low end be-careful and trust your ears (i don't mean that you don't have to use them with low and hi end of course).

In general i like your balance,though i found the shaker too loud.
Nice work.
(01-02-2014, 12:53 AM)gopener Wrote: The answer on snare is not low end, bat some mids to let it be really there.
All the harmonics on all instruments, that we find pleasure (human ears) are in mid range,

Hi Gopener, thanks for your feedback.

Totally agree about mid range harmonics. I just had a quick look at my signal chain on the snare and I had also added some tube distortion in that 200-400hz range.....i think that is what helped the snare cut through the mix in version2.

Cheers

HB
had a listen to this mix again...thought it sounded a bit congested/harsh. New smooth re-mixCool

.mp3    ComfortLivesInBelief_HB_mix_03.mp3 --  (Download: 7.36 MB)

An excellent mix. I am very much a classic rock guy and I really like the tune. I also find that the treatment you're giving this song really brings out more groove.

I'm new to this forum, but I was intrigued by the sheer number of talented people posting here. I'd like your collective/individual feedback on my mix.
BTW - I'm a drummer and I decided to re-recorded the drum and percussion tracks. I feel that the original half-time beat slows up the song, and I wanted to pick up the pace a bit.

.mp3    CLIB June 23.mp3 --  (Download: 7.82 MB)

(23-06-2014, 04:32 PM)oldsoftee Wrote: An excellent mix. I am very much a classic rock guy and I really like the tune. I also find that the treatment you're giving this song really brings out more groove.

I'm new to this forum, but I was intrigued by the sheer number of talented people posting here. I'd like your collective/individual feedback on my mix.
BTW - I'm a drummer and I decided to re-recorded the drum and percussion tracks. I feel that the original half-time beat slows up the song, and I wanted to pick up the pace a bit.

Hey oldsoftee. Welcome to the forum and thanks for your feedback. I like your mix too ....interesting to hear it with a different beat. The best thing to do really is to put up a new post with your mix attached that people can then respond to. Chances are not many people will listen to it buried in an old post.

Usually, to encourage feedback from others, its good to offer feedback first on their mixes. I usually pick last five or so postings. You don't always get feedback for every track but in general, the more one gives, the more one receives.

Cheers, HB