Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Siren - voelund
Hi matey.
Interesting idea to bring in *more* sounds to this song Smile and good use of those treated percussive samples. It has given the song more of a Euro-pop flavour, though I am missing the low end of the heavy dance kick which would help add some nice thump to the song.
I also like the way you have added the backing vocals to the end of the song to help keep the aural interest right to the very end - the original arrangement just lends itself to be an instrumental fade out (which was my lazy option) Big Grin

Nice one!
Dags

So many songs, so little time!
Thank you. Good points. The kick could use some more beef I agree
See its a learnin curve for me and I have always struggled with drum sound
I tried a suggestion on this one cuttin the subs to give the kick more beef I were told
But as my listening environmrnt isnt trustworthy under some 100 or 80 its a bit like drivin a car blindfolded.
I wont mix it again but I'll keep your words in the bag with all the other things to consider when mixin drums.
Thank you !

And for the words about rearrangin it - glad uou think it worked. Thx
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Very pleasant, nice sounding mix.

I agree with Dags about the low end. I think is not as punchy as it could be but It actually works well in the mix until you add that snare in the 2nd verse. In my opinion that snare is too loud and masking your low and mids. I feel that the mix looses some emotion when you add the snare instead of adding emotion / dancing feeling to it.

Cheers
Cefe
Agree its lacking in the lowend, or the snare is interfering in a bad way.
Also my mastering could be better. I tried lowering the S channel and play around with eq on the mid but the snare is too big. If I fix it it'll be in the mix Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I just listened to your track (version Siren 02 lim) and like it a lot. After finishing my own mix I was so curious how others had done it. Your mix is the most creative I've come accross so far: You are not afraid to experiment establishing new soundscapes throughout the song. You can really hear all the hours you must have put into this, and you've managed to coax a really unique version! Maybe pulling out the snare in the intro is a bit over the top, but that's just my taste. Keep up the good work!

– sgtpetter

My mix is here if you have time to take a listen:
http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=5719