Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Atrophy mix
My mix, done with just a cheap headphone (so i'm not quite sure the way the low end is managed...). No mastering tools on the master section except for a discrete SDRR, around 3 db of headroom. Thanx in advance for advices and opinions.

-Edit 20-01-2014: Added a second version, reworked with a better headphone. I loose 1db headroom, but I think it's clearer.

.mp3    Atrophy.mp3 --  (Download: 10.1 MB)

.mp3    Atrophy - 01.mp3 --  (Download: 10.32 MB)

Hiya and welcome!

Not a bad first attempt.
As you might have gathered, the mix as you have it is quite bass-heavy and as a result comes across as sounding 'muffled' which is most likely a result of not being able to hear what is going on in the low end with your headphones. Maybe consider getting a good pair of enclosed headphones for mixing if you can't use speakers.

But this aside, the kick is nice and punchy, the guitars sound full and the vocals are a good level above the rest of the instruments (bit hard to hear exactly how the rest of the instruments are sitting with all the low end in the mix so a fair bit of interpretation going on here)
Nice bit of stereo-widening going on in the vocals as well.

If you get the opportunity to revisit the mix using a better pair of headphones you'll easily be able to make improvements.
(The pair I'm listening with at the moment - my travelling pair - are Sennheiser HD439s which are mid-priced 'professional' headphones. Nothing too flash but having a larger speaker size with good frequency response will really help you hear the mix much better)

I look forward to hearing your next version!
Keep at it Smile

Dags

So many songs, so little time!
Hello!
Thanx for the analysis! I've got better headphones, but as they're closed ones, they don't allow me to listen to my 1 and 3 years old kids when sleeping. I'll try to remix it with a DT770 and I'll post the new one ASAP. (BTW, can I post a new one or do I have to replace the first one?)
Again, many thanx for the tips!

Edit: Done! See post #1
Ahhh yes I can hear more of the instrumentation and backing now. Nice!

Do you have the bass going to a reverb? I can hear a kind of wash under the bass...or could just be the bass itself.
Just as a general tip for reverb, try reducing the low frequencies in the reverb channel to help clear up the low end a little bit more (shelving filter at 250Hz or so reduced by 12dB should do the trick nicely!) Unless you're going for a dark ambient sound for your mix (or as a special effect such as an explosion or loud boom), reducing the low end from any reverb channel is a really simple way to bring clarity to the song.

Oh man - you have two littlies to look after? Respect! Smile I have enough trouble getting time to myself with one 2 year old and an 11 year old (who can pretty much look after herself now - thankfully)

Dags
I never send bass in my verbs, I don't like the mudiness induced. Generally speaking, I put a Hi pass on the verb around 100-140 hz to avoid this. I've put a very little of multiband compression on the master, comparing to the first mix. Do you think, due to the fact that most of the energy is in the low end, this could affect the way my verb sounds? I will first correct the low end of the verb the way you suggest it: shelving at 250... I'll do that later.
The kids are allright... What a nice song title, isn't it? Well, in fact, my nephews are like yours: 9 years between them (is it the correct way to say that? Forgive me as it's not my mother tongue) and even it's a tuff 24/7 job, I think it's harder on a short period but easier on the long term. So many songs, so little time? Yes guv'nor!
Well, I've change my mind and reworked the guitars, verbs etc. and NO multiband comp on the master (definitively don't like that much. Maybe because I don't know HOW to use it or WHAT to expect from it... Mastering is not (and never will be) my stuff, I think).
This will be my last version for I think I'm on the top end of my own peter principle curve... Dunno if it's good but it's the best I can currently.

.mp3    Atrophy - 03.mp3 --  (Download: 9.87 MB)

Bravo!!!! This mix is really splendid!
No sign of the low frequency problems from the earlier versions at all. The mix is clear and I love your snare - so much punch and snap.
Really well done Sardonicus. Your persistence has certainly paid off.
Dags
Special thanks go to you: it wouldn't have been this way without your accurate listening and clever remarks. I mostly feel lucky :-)