Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summerghost_dlr_mix
Here is my mix attempt of this interesting song (done with earphones only Sad ). Any comments are welcome.

.mp3    leaf_summerghost_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.34 MB)

Didn't like previous version, so I worked a bit on kick sound, edited drums a bit, little vocals balance at the end, little general EQ adjustment...and again with the phones only :-( I realised that there is no point to learn mixing without good pair of monitors..

.mp3    leaf_summerghost_v4.mp3 --  (Download: 8.51 MB)

Second try is better but as you already said
(19-01-2014, 10:15 PM)DLR Wrote: I realised that there is no point to learn mixing without good pair of monitors..

Apsolutly.. in my phones kick (among the other stuff) sounded very well, but when I listen song thru the speakers, it was awful. So, I was trying to fix it, and it appears that I did better job, but still not good enough. I hope to get some Presonus E8 speakers.
Its certainly possible to do good mixes in headphones - you just need to listen to lots of good commercial mixes in your headphones so that you build up an accurate picture of what a good mix sounds like. In fact, its easy to do rubbish mixes on great monitors if you have a bad sounding room.

The main thing i find about about headphones is that its easy to not mix in enough bottom end so you need to use your spectrum/level meters a lot against reference CD tracks and just make sure that your ears aren't playing tricks on you.

Back to your mix - i think you've done a good job. Drums, bass and guitars balance together in the backing track. You've also balanced the male and female vox together so that they sound very natural together.

The only thing i would say is that you could probably automate the vocals in the 2nd half of the song to keep them clear at all times as sometimes they fade in and out under the backing track

nice work
Thank you for your opinion.

Considering headphones mixing.. yeah, I think that I is possible to make a good mix once when you get familiar with them. (listening a tons of good mixes, but it is time consuming) :-) so I prefer solid pair of monitors and sound treated room (in future).

I did, actualy, use spectrum analyzer, and, to me, picture seems to be good. In fact, I was thinking that there is a little too much bottom..

Thx for kind words for my mix, and about 2nd part of song.. it is kind of my attention to "drown" those vocals. But, yes, I agree that they comes and goes, and that I could automate them a bit.

Anyway, thnx once again.