Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: Java Jive 2
I am self-taught both in video/film editing and audio engineering, having been experimenting with audio and video since my teen years back in the 1980s.

My guiding principle in mixing I call the "principle of least treatment."

Having heard the crystal clean sound of CDs from the earliest days of consumer digital sound in the 80s, comparing it to the overprocessed, overcompressed mess many commercial mixes are today, I have come to believe that current mixing techniques rely too heavily on processing, particularly in the use/abuse of compression in mastering.

In general, I go as gently as possible on all processing, using only the minimum EQ, automation and compression necessary to get everything to blend smoothly, and under no circumstances do I EVER apply processing or compression of ANY kind at the mastering stage; my goal is to preserve 100% of the dynamics of the original recording.

I joined this forum in order to get all of YOUR thoughts on what I've done with these multitracks. Criticism is welcome so long as its polite and constructive. Smile

Mike Senior commented on a post reviewing my take on Triviul feat. The Fiend's "Widow" that I would have fun mixing the Java Jive Sessions. He was right; I already had. Big Grin Since he asked about them I figured I might as well post them in case he, or any of you, would like to hear my take on them. Smile

.m4a    20 Java Jive 2 1.m4a --  (Download: 10 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince