Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Juliet's Rescue "Heartbeats" TChianti Mix
I've been sitting on this mix for a while. Still not certain of my balances. Overall I like it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or comments Smile

TC

.m4a    Juliets Rescue HEARTBEATS TC MI.m4a --  (Download: 10.95 MB)

Greetings TC!
I haven't had a chance to listen until I got to a computer (at work - shhh!) - the version of quicktime on the iphone won't play back m4a files.

You have a really good mix going on here. Vocals are clear, the cymbals are bright but don't kill the mix and you have added some interesting
filters to the synths.

A couple of suggestions that will hopefully help bring out some more beef in your mix:

Bass: did you use both tracks or just the DI one? The bass in this version has lots of upper end attack, but is missing the low end weight. If you use both tracks in combination, you'll get a good balance of both string pluck and low frequency rumble. Watch that you don't stomp on your kick drums when you bring up the bottom end, though whoever recorded the track seems to have done a bit of frequency cleaning and there's space for both.

Kick: both the electronic and acoustic kicks could afford to come up in level a bit (sorting out the three acoustic kick channels is a bit tricky, but you can get away without the 'sub' channel and just use the in and out mic channels). Being essentially a dance track, the kick has a prominent role to play in the mix.

Snare: the electronic snare has a little too much top end snap to it and could do with a little more lower frequency 'body' (which could just be a matter of production taste rather than technical) Smile

The synth at 0:57 which brings in the chorus could afford to come up in level as it becomes the new focus of the song when the vocals drop away.

Overall you have a nice, clear mix going on with some tasteful delay on the vocals to add movement and aural interest without going over the top.

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
(19-01-2014, 10:55 PM)Dags Wrote: Greetings TC!
I haven't had a chance to listen until I got to a computer (at work - shhh!) - the version of quicktime on the iphone won't play back m4a files.

You have a really good mix going on here. Vocals are clear, the cymbals are bright but don't kill the mix and you have added some interesting
filters to the synths.

A couple of suggestions that will hopefully help bring out some more beef in your mix:

Bass: did you use both tracks or just the DI one? The bass in this version has lots of upper end attack, but is missing the low end weight. If you use both tracks in combination, you'll get a good balance of both string pluck and low frequency rumble. Watch that you don't stomp on your kick drums when you bring up the bottom end, though whoever recorded the track seems to have done a bit of frequency cleaning and there's space for both.

Kick: both the electronic and acoustic kicks could afford to come up in level a bit (sorting out the three acoustic kick channels is a bit tricky, but you can get away without the 'sub' channel and just use the in and out mic channels). Being essentially a dance track, the kick has a prominent role to play in the mix.

Snare: the electronic snare has a little too much top end snap to it and could do with a little more lower frequency 'body' (which could just be a matter of production taste rather than technical) Smile

The synth at 0:57 which brings in the chorus could afford to come up in level as it becomes the new focus of the song when the vocals drop away.

Overall you have a nice, clear mix going on with some tasteful delay on the vocals to add movement and aural interest without going over the top.

Dags

Dags,

I really have to thank you for taking the time to do such a detailed listen to my mix. It's feedback like this that makes posting the mixes worth it.
All of the things you pointed out are very realistic in terms of making the mix more exciting, which is what a dance mix is all about.

It seems the intent is to make the basic drive of Kick, Snare and bass more prominent and to drive the track more. These things are important, as you have stated.
I will rebalance and add the suggested EQ's and see what I come up with.

Thanks again for taking the time. Smile

TC