Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catching Up - JFM
Hello,

This is the first thing I have ever mixed (except for me and my guitar). I spent about 10 hours on it. Struggled with the snare (from the room mics) and I think there's a slight left-of-center bias in the overall mix.

I'd really like your feedback Smile

Thank you!

John.

.mp3    Catching Up Multitrack 10 Jan.mp3 --  (Download: 8.68 MB)

Welcome to the fun Smile Nice job for your first attempt at this many tracks. I might suggest a tad more compression and reverb/delay on the lead vocal. Regarding the drum room track, a bell boost at 5k should help a bit with the snare. I would rely a bit more on the close mics for the snare and kick, too. The bass could probably come down a small amount, too.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Hi,

Firstly, many belated thanks for your feedback. I tried your suggestions and they were great - naturally Smile

I became a hermit and worked on it an awful lot - I thought I'd try out for the mix competition just for the sake of doing so. I had learnt a tremendous amount largely due to the wealth of knowledge on this website.

Of course, I needed a goal in mind and it was to preserve the ambience of Abbey Road and Lyndsey's lovely tone. Being quite a bit older than I used to be I used reference tracks such as New Kid In Town (Eagles), Good Year For The Roses (Elvis Costello) and Blue Bayou (Linda Ronstadt). I used minimal compression and EQ mainly to get rid of clutter. I applied a tube simulator to the final mix which warmed everything up.

Anyway, mp3 attached and a 24/96 WAV on Dropbox at https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9vgpmcs4d6cy6...0Final.wav

There're some bits I'm not happy with but I am content with my first dive into multitrack mixing. I had lots of fun and frustration doing this.

John.

.mp3    Catching Up JFM Final.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)