Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesper Buhl Trio: 'What Is This Thing Called Love'
Hello to all!

Really wanted to hear some critique about my mix!

Thanks!!!

.mp3    Jesper Buhl Trio - What Is This Thing Called Love - saerw mix.mp3 --  (Download: 14.2 MB)

Please, say something! Smile Very interesting to hear your opinion.
(13-01-2014, 10:39 AM)saerw Wrote: Please, say something! Smile

Doesn't look like you've commented on anyone else's mixes. The best way to get feedback round here is to give some first. Smile

Are you a bass player? It sounds a little bit like the 'more me' mix the bass player might request, which seems to me to steal a bit too much thunder from the piano, which I'd say was more the lead instrument here. Yes, jazz like this is ensemble work, but it feels a bit imbalanced in favour of the bass. Also, the bass feels very close to me, whereas the piano is more distant. I'd maybe add a bit more ambience to the bass to pull it back, as well as maybe taking some of its high end out. It sounds like you've added high end to it, in fact, and I think that might be a bit much -- maybe try a boost more around 500Hz-1kHz if you want to bring out the notes without too much additional string slap. Actually, I wonder whether the snare pops out a bit much too, compared with the piano, almost as if it's mixed for pop rather than jazz. (That said, I'm only listening on my PC speakers at the moment, so you should take my sonic suggestions with a pinch of salt!)
Thank you very much, Mike!!! I'm really excited, it was you, who criticized my mix! This is second mix in my life. Smile Relatively to comment anyone else's mixes - I'm afraid I have too little experience in mixing to do this! Smile As well the monitoring is not perfect (I`ve made this mix in Grado SR80 headphones).

About my mix:

Thanks for useful comments - I will try to do mix in "more jazzy" style. Also, I`m not considered that piano is a lead instrument here - you are right!

Once again, thank you for comments! You are very inspired me to continue to do music!

Sincerely yours, Dmitry!
If this is your second mix in life, it's very good, keep on working. Smile

To add on to what Mike Senior said, the snare has gotten to much EQ in the 1kHz - 4kHz area and sounds too harsh. Also there might be a touch too much compression on the bass, I can hear it pumping some times.
Hello, All!

Please, take a look at my second attempt of "What Is This Thing Called Love"!

.mp3    \'What Is This Thing Called Love v.2.mp3 --  (Download: 14.12 MB)

One thing that stands out to me is the phasing that is in your mix. Quick trick to fix some of that. Choose the track with the most bleed. Usually the overhead mics. Listen to where the other instrument sound in the OH track when soloed. Add in one of the other tracks and pan to the general area you think you heard it in the OH's. Sum your master to mono and fine tune the track you added until the two tracks sound the clearest together. If you go one value up or down you should be able to hear it sound worst. Now put your master back to stereo and the two tracks together should sound sharper. Mute that track and move on to the next until you have done them all. This best done on headphones. Now compare the whole mix to your original mix panning. Let me know if this works for you. Finding the right panning for tracks that have a lot of bleed fixes a lot of mixing issues to give you a good starting before EQing and Compressing.

Summing to mono on the Master Bus.
Pro Tools, Cubase and maybe Reaper. Turn both the pan nobs/faders to 0.
Samplitude and Sequoia have a mono button on the master track.
Thanks for the advice! Actually, it was very difficult to put all instruments together. Because of to much bleed from bass and drum-kit in piano track.

Сant find how to summ master in mono, besides removing Master Fader (there is no pan nobs on it) and redirect all tracks to Stereo Aux, that has pan nobs.

Thanks for help!
Try this as the last plugin on you master to sum to mono.

http://www.kellyindustries.com/stereo_tools.html or http://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/plugin..._solo.html with the width nob turned to zero.

Both are free.
Also, if the song has a room mic use that instead as you panning guide.