Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Street Noise "Revelations" RT Mix
Hi all!
Did this mix as well today. First time mixing something strictly from an analog source.
Hope I did it justice!
Please provide constructive feedback and enjoy! Smile

.mp3    Street Noise - \'Revelations\' RT Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 10.47 MB)

(09-01-2014, 04:37 AM)Ryan Talbot Wrote: Did this mix as well today. First time mixing something strictly from an analog source.
Hope I did it justice!

You did indeed! It sounds a lot like my own mix, actually, aside from having a touch more reverb and without the noise cleanup I did. The latter isn't a bad thing, really; this is the way digital "remastering" of old material used to be done. This is still better than any analog master since the noise we're hearing is ONLY from the multitracks; no additional noise has been imparted by mastering to tape.

Sounds to me like you've effectively captured that old school 70s rock feel while bringing out a modern clarity and crispness. Really nice. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Hi Ryan,

some quick, focused bullet points..
- i'm missing the organ here, so a problem with your EQ strategy and compression. it really fights the lead guitars for the same frequency so requires some diligence. make it work in mono and you will dominate the stereo field.
- i'm finding the left channel uncomfortable, i'd look at your Eq on this guitar and maybe trim some low's? whatever. maybe don't pan your guitars so wide thus avoiding the total channel separation which you've achieved here (that's a modern approach?).....
- drums sounded dry and detached from the other instruments...(i could hear the drum room's ambiance which contradicted the apparent space of the other stuff) that's a reverb thing.
- also on the drums, that ride cymbal is poking out a bit and the snare lacks focus (not central)?
- i'm also not a lover of 20 foot wide drum kits, but some like that sort of thing. it's not a realistic impression of space or depth however. ever heard a stereo drum kit at a gig? the kit fills the room, but you can point directly to the kit which means it's not 20 feet wide.
- your levels were nicely balanced, i thought.
- i had no feeling of space or depth here in the performance, so that's a reverb thing. i hear you've applied one, but i personally would question it's value, it's like you've put something there for the sake of it without using reverb to position your musicians (the drum comment above is part of this issue). for the era, it has to be spring or plate, or both, yeah?
- personally, i'd have liked a brighter mix, whether this comes from EQ'ing the instruments, or the reverbs or both is really down to your personal preference i guess, and it's all subjective anyway.
- i'm finding the bass guitar flabby and boomy, you also need to control it's dynamics better...it keeps coming and going rather than having a nice consistent, balanced presence. this can be a challenge to achieve.
- i loved the vocal here.

hope this helps Wink
BigDave
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!