Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea of Leaves
Thanks for the listen and any input Smile

.mp3    Sea of Leaves.mp3 --  (Download: 7.22 MB)

.mp3    Sea of Leaves Final.mp3 --  (Download: 7.22 MB)

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
this sounds very good to me!! :-)
mixing since April 2013
(08-01-2014, 05:53 PM)bmullen Wrote: Thanks for the listen and any input Smile

The guitars sound awesome! What processing did you use to get them jiving so nicely? I'm working on this one at the moment and could use a little nudge in the right direction in this area...

I think the overheads could use about 3dB of high shelving cut around 4 to contain the cymbal brightness. As a whole though, the drums sound really good... nice and punchy. Maybe pull the lead vocal in front of the guitars a little in the choruses with a slight cut in the upper mids on the guitar bus? or parallel compression might do the trick if you wanted, but the guitars almost sound too good to get buried under the vocal! If you like the lead synth track, I'm using an autopan to help it peak through the mix, but it sounds really good buried in your version, too.

Maybe the backing vox would blend a little easier with some pitch correction, but just enough that they don't lose the gang vocal effect.

Great work!!!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(24-02-2014, 07:28 AM)pauli Wrote:
(08-01-2014, 05:53 PM)bmullen Wrote: Thanks for the listen and any input Smile

The guitars sound awesome! What processing did you use to get them jiving so nicely? I'm working on this one at the moment and could use a little nudge in the right direction in this area...

I think the overheads could use about 3dB of high shelving cut around 4 to contain the cymbal brightness. As a whole though, the drums sound really good... nice and punchy. Maybe pull the lead vocal in front of the guitars a little in the choruses with a slight cut in the upper mids on the guitar bus? or parallel compression might do the trick if you wanted, but the guitars almost sound too good to get buried under the vocal! If you like the lead synth track, I'm using an autopan to help it peak through the mix, but it sounds really good buried in your version, too.

Maybe the backing vox would blend a little easier with some pitch correction, but just enough that they don't lose the gang vocal effect.

Great work!!!

Thanks, Pauli. I did do quite a bit of work with the guitars on eq. trying to create space frequency wise. Here's basically what I did: G1 - 7 db reduction at 590Hz; G2 - 5db reduction at 317 Hz; G3 - 1000K notch; G4 - 2180K notch; G5 - slight boost at 3K; G6 - 3 db reduction at 12K and 3 db boost at 3235K; G7 - no eq, slight comp.; G8 - 4.7 db reduction at 317 Hz and 2 db boost at 1350K. I took your advice and reduced by shelving boost on the overheads and automated a 3.5K reduction on the Guitar bus during the Choruses. Will post soon.
Here it is with the upper shelf toned down on the overheads track and some eq automation added to the guitar bus to reduce the upper mids during the chorus.

.mp3    Sea of Leaves 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.22 MB)

Sounds even better to my ears!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Those are some nice meaty guitars! (Y)