Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rumba chonta
I like Latin music in a big way. Having said that, this one was tricky... very easy to overthink, and it was tough to get the bombo leguero and the bass to get along. hope you enjoy!

.mp3    Rumba Chonta.mp3 --  (Download: 6.07 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
I think that some instruments are too low. Try to make the mix more full, right now I find it kind of empty. But that's easy to fix :-)
mixing since April 2013
thanks for the listen and input, amigo! do you mean too low frequency-wise or volume-wise?

you think I should roll off the lows on the main mix bus or some more high pass filtering on specific instruments? and as for making the mix more full, voxengo span is telling me I'm light in the low mids... I remember cutting a lot of resonances in there, particularly the cuonos were causing a build-up at 400Hz that sounded ugly to me, so maybe I should ease up on those cuts and maybe turn up a few of the tracks?
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
I must say, I love the way you got the marimba sounding here! Nice subtle reverb to give it that presence! The rest of the mix is really fine, too, except it's all way too low relative to that marimba; everything else needs to come up a good 4-6 dB IMHO. I don't see anything wrong with the rest of it other than that, though, so once you bring all that up I think this'll be pretty awesome!

I hadn't done this mix because while I enjoy this style of music it's not my favourite. However, once again I did this mix yesterday just so I could see what you were facing when you did it. My mix is surprisingly similar in tone to yours, though the marimba is more balanced with the rest of the instruments. I'm uploading it now if you'd like to have a listen. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince