Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Triviul - Widow
Hi all, my first post ! Any comments or suggestions will be more than enjoyable...
I listened to such great work here...Smile

.mp3    B Triviul - Widow mix 6.1.14 final.mpeg.mp3 --  (Download: 8.51 MB)

Welcome to the Discussion Zone! Great vision this -- quite 'Kanye West' to me, which is a really interesting take on it. Lots of bold moves too -- superdry drums, dulling the vocal sample, radio-ing the lead vox, leaving the bass out until so late... Love to hear this kind of fearlessness. Whatever you do, don't change that attitude, because it's really important, in my view, and leads to the most interesting mixes. Lovely drop into the middle-section too! You have a natural gift for arrangement, I'd say.

Can't comment too much about the sonics, because I'm listening on my little PC speakers at the moment, but featuring the high synth line so prominently in verse two might be a little overdone -- it distracts a little from the lead vocal. Maybe pull it down a dB or two after the first entry?

Overall I like this version a lot, though. It makes me excited about the music, which is the main thing. Thanks for posting!
Thanks a lot Mike ! It's really good for me to hear your comments, specially because as you said one of the most important thing with music is to have an 'attitude' or 'vision'. I'm foremost a musician and I've always been interested in sound engineering, particularly with mixing. Since a couple of years I've really started to produce small projects, read a lot of stuff about the mixing process (your book too, a really good one by the way !), had the opportunity to have one week to work with Tchad Blake in a masterclass (maybe the dry sound comes from here !) and again the most important thing I've learned from him was 'just be yourself' and 'let's your creativity and vision happening to the music', technical stuffs are important but just as tools...

Thanks also for this site and the work you do, it's so cool and fun to have all these songs, giving us the opportunity to improve ours skills and share this same passion of music ;-)
Nice!