Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea of leaves - HbGuitar
Here's my version of "Sea of Leaves"...mix3

Tried to tune BackingVox but my version of melodyne couldn't find the pitch of the track - weird - so i just used BGV as a pad for chorus....can't really hear them but you miss them if they're not there

New version mix4 - see below

.mp3    Sea Of Leaves_Mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.44 MB)

I had another go at this one....I was never really that happy with my first attempt...it was all a little bit jarring. New version a bit smoother.

Updated version....Mix4
1. pitch correction on BGV...now able to increase level
2. rebalanced LdVox, BGV
3. rebalanced guitar & bass
4. rebalanced stereo effects width/levels
5. gentle EQ on master buss...open it up a bit
6. reduced master level....was running pretty hard into limiter before (4db). Cant remember why?? Now in all its dynamic glory...turn it up!

.mp3    Sea Of Leaves_Mix4.mp3 --  (Download: 7.4 MB)

listening to version 2 and sounds great , I need to do a remix too Smile!
listening on headphones here in the middle of the night !
This is not a big deal ,sounds like In the chorus the main and backing vocals could be a touch louder as sound softer than the guitarsBig Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Very nice. There is a synth that is really jumping out at 2:17.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
@thedon - Thanks for your comments..always loved this song...remix had to be done. The lead vocals are so unstable...i was forever twitching the fader, even with 2 layers of automation. I agonized over the final choral level, with a choice of 1 db louder or not...with the extra db it sounded a bit loud, and kind of washed away the guitars IMO..and the guitars are so anthemic during the chorus i didn't want to lose that...but it was a close call and on a different day I may well chosen the extra level. Oh yeah, just double checked. I set the lead vocal in 1st chorus 1 db lower than 2nd chorus...just for long-term dynamics and give the song somewhere to go after final "somebody scream" section. I wonder if that's what you're hearing? Re BGV...i think you're right...i could easily go an extra 2-3db...i think i resisted 'cos even with pitch correction, they sound a bit like medieval jesters...but you don't notice that in the mix..and that's where it counts i suppose.

@bmullen - yeah the synth does jump out a bit....i got used to it during the mix so i don't notice it that much....I did make it that way intentionally, as a slightly disorientating punctuation mark leading into the final pre-chorus. As ever, the devil is in the detail. A db here or there can make a big difference. Thanks for your comments