Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whisper to a scream - Voelund
Thought Id add info on the eq I used for guitars.
Have to admit i didnt notice they were stereo, just used them on mono channels ...
Picture 18 are the main guitars, comped with about 1 dB of 1176 clone.
Picture 19 are mult 1, first part of verse 1 and fills throughout, about 2 dB from Logics comp.
Picture 3 are the 16th note guitars I multed to middle piece and outro

All parts ran through a bus saturator and an eq with loshelf boost 8,9 at 110 Hz
+ 0,8 dB at 1200 + 2,4 at 2500 and hishelf 10,4

Thumbnail(s)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Got an idea for yet an arrangement changes and it turned out pretty ok - let me know what you think - if you hear it Big Grin
By the way I ditched the organ, had accidentally muted it first time - sometimes youre lucky :-)

.mp3    Whisper to a scream 04a lim.mp3 --  (Download: 9.42 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(07-01-2014, 05:34 PM)Voelund Wrote: Hope you like it though, with arrangement changes and all.

Voelund, congratulations! You just totally kicked A** with this guitar arrangement! Totally BLOWS AWAY my attempt. I gotta keep your tip about using different EQ on each guitar in mind; I have a feeling listening to this that that's a big part of what makes your guitar treatment here work. I have to say I'm impressed with the overall sound, too; it's modern but still with a touch of that old 80s feel. A modern mix that might provide a bridge to help some of these youngsters appreciate the artists of yesteryear! And I just LOVE the way you pull the guitars out completely for just a moment then WHAM bring them back in! Use that dynamic range, brother! Well done!

There is one serious problem here, though. The vocals are too low now most of the time. True in this type of music they should help sell the "loudness" of the music by struggling to get above the guitars but not THIS much. Conversely, Johnny's first "scream" just HAMMERS you as TOO loud. So I think the vocal balance still needs work.

My only other suggestion, and this is a minor taste thing, is to bring that guitar solo further forward, maybe 3-4 dB. It sounds fine the way it is but I liked it better when you had it more out front. Wink

Once you fix that vocal balance problem I suspect this is going to be a mix I'm going to want to have in my collection; any chance of getting a copy of the 24-bit master when you've finished polishing it? Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(07-01-2014, 08:58 PM)Voelund Wrote: Got an idea for yet an arrangement changes and it turned out pretty ok - let me know what you think - if you hear it Big Grin
By the way I ditched the organ, had accidentally muted it first time - sometimes youre lucky :-)

Like the ending on this one better. Otherwise, same awesomeness as before. Big Grin On the minus side, same vocal problem as before, too. Sad But that appears to be the ONLY problem; once you get that nailed down this will most definitely be the best mix I've heard of this song so far, far outclassing my own (and, like most people, I usually prefer my own mixes so you can definitely take that as a compliment Wink).

Oh, speaking of endings, you might want to let that last cymbal tail off just a little longer. Feels a little truncated to my ears.
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Sounds great !
The vocal and the solo could come up just a touch Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

After comparing to other mixes of this I agree on vox and sologuitar should have a little more volume. And the last cymbal were actually me bein lazy, cuttin the audio file too earley bein in a hurry. You know how it is when you want to get the bounce down before the truck runs down the hill ...

Anyway thank you for the encouraging words and suggestions.
Sure I will share the 24 bit file. Lets see if next version is final Big Grin
Hello. I listened the mix in post #12.

Like already said/wrote lead voc should be more up front and to help in that guitars could go a little back. Maybe some reverb with er-preset could create depth to guitars without muding the sound.
That lead voc reverb can make the lead voc sound distant if guitars are dry no matter what the levels are. Other trick to try out is increase the predelay of the lead voc reverb to give illusion of the voc to be near and the reverb behind it.

Bass could have some character or edge or sharpness. Now it sound kind of natural when all the other instrument doesn't. Don't know your plugin arsenal but for free you could try VOS ThrillseekerXTC or some other magic saturation plugin or even re-amp.
And I think there is room to bring drum ohs up a little bit.
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.
I gave it another shot and took vox bus up some 2dB, guitars a tad down, changed bass eq, its allready saturated pretty hard :-) gave kick 0.2 dB more and changed hihat eq, ass well as increased overheads a bit.
Vox verb is lowered by addin more beef to voxbus, and guitars get little more veb by trunin their bus down, scream automated further down so I guess its about the suggested changes.

.mp3    Whisper to a scream 04b lim.mp3 --  (Download: 9.58 MB)

(09-01-2014, 03:04 PM)Voelund Wrote: I gave it another shot and took vox bus up some 2dB, guitars a tad down, changed bass eq, its allready saturated pretty hard :-) gave kick 0.2 dB more and changed hihat eq, ass well as increased overheads a bit.
Vox verb is lowered by addin more beef to voxbus, and guitars get little more veb by trunin their bus down, scream automated further down so I guess its about the suggested changes.

Yeah! Now THAT'S the stuff! Nailed it, my friend! Big Grin

Now THIS is the one I'd like a copy of the 24-bit master of; I suspect once I get that converted to Apple Lossless that it's going to replace my own mix of this song on my iPhone... Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Ive been pretty busy doin other things, so I havent really been around for a while.
If you still want that 24bit file you could write me a PM with a mail adress i can send it to Big Grin