Poll: Please Rate This Mix
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
10 - Excellent
0%
0 0%
33.33%
1 33.33%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
66.67%
2 66.67%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
1 - Terrible
0%
0 0%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: Uncle Dad - Who I Am
OK. Based on everyone's suggestions I created this new mix incorporating the following changes:

Applied a lowpass at 2000 Hz on the Outside Kick drum to eliminate the "clickiness."

Lowered hi-hat by 3 dB. Unfortunately the crash cymbal sound comes entirely from the overhead and room mics; they don't have separate mics. I tried to take the edge off them by applying a 3 dB EQ cut at around 12 kHz on all the room micas; I didn't want to EQ the overheads because they sound so good on their own.

I did, however, lower the overall level of the overheads; this will help tame the drum sound a bit while also addressing some of that overbearing crash.

Voelund suggested reverb on the drums. I prefer not to do that when I have good room mics to work with so instead I left the room mic levels where they were after I turned down the overheads; I'm hoping this will accomplish a similar effect of "filling out" the drum sound a little.

Level on the snare top was originally a little higher than the bottom; I brought the top level down to the same level as the bottom to smooth out the snare so it's less of a "road bump." Wink

I disagree with the assessment that the backing vocals were too high. I can see why you might feel that way, though, considering the way everyone who mixes this song seems to want to bury them for some reason. Still, just to see how it would sound I lowered them by 1 dB in this mix.

I also lowered the piano level by 1 dB and applied a 3 dB EQ cut at 80 Hz to try to address its tendency to compete with the vocals.

Thoughts? Smile

P.S.: Voelund had made some suggestions on how I could improve my mix of his "Comfort Lives in Belief." I told him I didn't have the mix project anymore because I was already 100% satisfied with the mix I did of his song and I don't have the storage space to spare.

I was also 100% satisfied with THIS mix as well. However, the reason I still have the mix project is because I actually put together a CD for people for Christmas of mixes I did of music from this site; I included a special version of "Who I Am" on that CD.

The special version was of ME performing the song with the lyrics suitably rewritten to fit MY life PERSONALLY. I thought that'd make a great tribute to the people I love in my life.

So that's why I happened to still have this project to remix; I kept the project so I could do my own vocals for that tribute song. Wink

And yes, if anyone wants to hear my version you may ask but I gotta warn ya. I'm a fair singer, but compared to this Uncle Dad guy I suck. Blush If you ask me to post it and you cringe at my performance don't say I didn't warn ya...! Angel

.m4a    Who I Am Mix 2.m4a --  (Download: 7.27 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pedaling Prince Mix: Uncle Dad - Who I Am - by Pedaling Prince - 06-01-2014, 02:51 AM