Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memnoir: The One (Robert's mix v1) 2-Jan-2014
Version 1 mix. All comments welcome.

.mp3    The One (Robert\'s mix v1) 2-Jan-2014).mp3 --  (Download: 8.34 MB)

Hello Robert.

Maybe too rock sound and not heavy or metal enough.

Clean guitar? For rock maybe but for this song?
Drums sounds could also fit better for a rock song expect snare that sit quite well. But kick has too much low mids making it sound boxy and there is more room for click/attack. Toms could also be a little louder and have more click.
In verse bass is little too loud or other instruments too quiet. Some e-drum tracks are kind off quiet. Don't know if you wanted it so?
Guitars are really low in chorus. Bass and bvox drive over everything else. Guitars and keys. Vocal levels are something you would do for a pop-song where it is the ”artist” they want to hear. Maybe some ducking vst to bvox with lead voc to sc. Could give other instruments more room and bring bvoc up when lead ism't there.

Probably the main thing I try to say/write is that your mix is kind of soft and easy while for this kind of music I think more aggressive, louder and more intense right in to your face sound is what is needed.
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.
Thanks for the feedback, Moonwrist.

There's a huge amount of classic rock and heavy rock tracks with clean guitars included over the last 30 years - and probably more. I think in the absence of a 'client', we tend to put our stamp on a mix and this is my interpretation. Sometimes 'we' mix engineers turn out something better than what the client envisioned and it's always feels good to have 'approval'. With this song I found a familiarity of sound and feel with Porcupine Tree, so that's what really influenced many of my mix decisions. Doing an A/B of this mix against the album 'In Absentia' by Porcupine Tree, the sound I have here in the Pro Tools playback on a good pair of monitors in a 'tuned' listening environment sounds very similar. That was my sound quality reference. I always feel a bit hesitant on making comments from an MP3 web stream and prefer to download the track because the difference can be quite stunning at times. When I get around to my v2 mix I'll certainly consider your observations. Thanks again for taking the time to listen and comment. :o)
Well yes there is clean guitars in the history of rock and heavy but is it the correct choice for this song?
I think that lead guitar in this song isn't that great or epic that it would carry the song from intro to outro as a clean.

And yes I can say that it would be a different case if you had the client next to you. And in case you like Jhonny Lokke comes time to time to give some feedback of mixes made of his songs. Check the download page. Really nice to have view of other members in this forum and also the artist himself.

I listened few songs of Porcupine Tree from spotify and I have to say that I think that is kind of incorrect reference. More like rock, heavy rock and atmospheric rock and not similar to this song. But yet again wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong Sad

Well I can say that I don't have that optimal listening environment but I always think I have a kind of good setup here in my living room as a client. A like comments made by a mp3 file. After all that is the format most used. And to make it any worst they probably use Samsung Galaxy or IPhone and Koss or Logitech headphones, but at end of day those are the clients that bring food to your table.

If you have time listen my mix and release your inter demons Wink
If you think about it my feedback would make your mix sound similar to mine.
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.